1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone have mounted pics on a Mckenzie 64D? / head down pose.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bucksmith, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

just wanted to see a few because I might consider doing a personal mount on one...but never used that form before.

2. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I personally don't care for the pose unless you are hanging it high on the wall and it is looking down, unless maybe you have 2 bucks getting ready to fight. Kind of an awkward pose in my opinion.

3. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

The oops I just piddled on the carpet pose. Can't stand it.

4. I'm the odd ball I guess. I really like the look of the form and have seen several mounted on it. I agree it needs to be hung high on the wall and works best with a bigger buck who would display dominance. I have several pictures of live bucks doing this early in season when they start to size each other up before breaking up.

I guess to give a good opinion it would be better that I have hands on with it. I got 2 to do. I am undecided between it and the Joe Coombs stepping out on the 2 bucks that my clients requested this form on.

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I too enjoy the look of it... Ben mears has one very similar but I like mckenzies 64d better.. I have done plenty of them most of which can be found on my website...
    Jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

6. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

I shot a nice buck this past year in October and he has a really pretty cape. I try to do something different on every deer I get, so that I dont get too over run with too many of the same looking forms. I have alot of different poses already but dont have one like that and my buddy got one done several years ago that way and its really growing on me...The main reason im considering that is not so much the dominance pose, but the way this deer came to me when i shot him..... he circled down wind of me but was actually above me on the field edge and i was in a ditch below him...he stood up there and looked down like that from where he heard the soft grunts i did....needless to say I sent a rage up into him and it was all over from there.

Thanks for your opinions guys/gals... If anyone has pics of mounted bucks on that form please share...need to make my mind up before i order form. My other choice is coombs ped, but i have alot of peds already....trying to switch it up.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I think this is one...I did it a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

8. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I like the mears way better. Never been a big fan of the pose however I don't mind it but the mckenzie one is just ugly to me. The mckenzie one just looks too sweeping and not enough aggression in the pose and head tilt. I always use the mears if thats what a customer really wants. You can have some fun the eyes rotations and eye brow attitude on this pose though which make for a little better mount. Make sure you blow the deer up good and back brush to give it more attitude yet.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

In that case I would maybe go with the mckenzie one (however I would put a matuska head on it) and wedge the head back up just a little do a listening pose with ears rotated to be listening. Could make a cool unique piece with the simple alters and right attitude on the deer.

10. Attached Files:

11. [​IMG]

I did this one a couple of years ago. Not my favorite,but it's what the customer wants,not what i want to do. I do agree with most,needs to be a large frame rack
    to make it look right on the wall.

12. IMO this is a much better option for a head down pose. Matt Thompson wall ped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

[​IMG]

14. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I like the Matt Thompson ; I`ll keep in mind , nice Ron C . ;)

15. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Very nice fellas! very pretty mounts!

@Ron- wow, i really really like that MT WP. never really saw that one before, but thats a dam nice mount and look.

@Doubleshovel- very nice mount and display brotha. really like that too.

16. Here are a couple on the 64D.

Attached Files:

17. kyddm

kyddm New Member

Here is one I done this year.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Here's a Nebraska buck on a Ben Mears aggressive head down pose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]