1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for tip on altering a form

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Schmitty, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    Can someone give me some information or point me in the right direction on how to make a closed mouth bear form into an open mouth form when that option is not given by the company? I just want to make a slight, panting type open mouth. Thanks for any help.

2. Order a bear rug shell, open mouth without, the jaw set installed.
    Cut through the center of the rear corner of the mouth backwards to the rear of the skull
    set the angle of mouth open that you desire......this might entail anchoring the jaw set before setting the angle of the open mouth
    OR........go to Research Manikins and buy the partial open mouth forms they have offered......this would be a lot easier IMO

3. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Of course it would be easier but how will you ever learn?

4. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

This thread from the tutorials may help:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,127338.0.html

Also, the Breakthrough Mammal Taxidermy manual shows how on pages 149-150.

Adjust the amount of opening to suit your needs.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Schmitty, do you have the skull for this bear? If so pay attention to where the bottom jaw hinges and how it moves. Once you do that, it isn't much to alter a standard form. Mark the location on bottom jaw and cut back at the lip line and up from the bottom. One tip I can say on a panting mouth, do as much finish work prior to installing bottom jaw, there isn't much room to do so after.

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I'm pretty sure McKenzie offers a slightly opened panting rug shell. Unless you wanted to make your own.

7. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

McKenzie sells a partial OM cast set. 3 sizes I believe. Cut out the foam to fit the top then cut back to accept the bottom. Bondo it in place. Build in a little jawline and done.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

. Best advice here, learn how to make it yourself, it's not that hard.

9. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    Thanks for the tips all, I do have the skull and I will also check out the other options.