1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

XL pike

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by FullCryHounds, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Any interest in a couple of big pike, frozen whole? PM me if you are. I'm located in Colorado. Don't have measurements but can get them.

2. they are 36-38 on the smaller one and 41-42 for the bigger one. They were wrapped in a towel and put in the freezer last fall. I don't mount fish so have no idea what they are worth, so make an offer. Thanks

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did you know it's illegal in most states to sell fish out if public waters? No skin off my back but just thought you might want to know in case you didn't. If they came from private waters you may be O.K. or you may need a fish dealers license or permit. I have the regs for sale of fish for Colorado somewhere if you want to see them complete with signatures.

4. roonie

roonie Member

not trying to be a dumb a_ _ but how would an officer be able to tell the difference...is there testing available for that. Not too many guys raising pike though i bet eh

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's not a dumb question at all. Typically a farm raised fish comes with a paper trail as in sales receipt from a licensed fish farm. It's easy to verify as states keep lists of licensed and permited facilities complete with the species produced on those facilties. The burden of proof is on the seller and buyer and the abscence of a paper trail is usually viewed as suspicious.

I'm not aware of any facilty that produces large northern pike and sells them as it would be quite an endeavor. Perhaps Native American netters or some commercial fisherman in Canada could legally do so?

Don't ask me why but illegally selling fish can get you in some serious hot water but at the same time in many states LEO's don't seem as interested in fish taxidermy as much as big game. I know fish haulers that were fined more than my house and property is worth and the Lacy Act kicked in and the feds wanted a piece of their hides too.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh and just something to think about. It would be very easy to set someone up here by someone in law enforcement by offerring to sell something illegal.

Not long ago in my state an undercover LEO begged an out of state fish hatchery to bring some fish to his pond even though the hatchery was prohibited due to a positive test for whirling disease. They agreed and were fined thousands of dollars and pleaded down to I believe $12,000.

7. Cecil, I have a question in regards to fish and the selling of them, which you may or may not know the answer to. How is it any different selling a skin mount on Ebay as opposed to the whole fish? I've thought about this a few times looking at all the stuff on Ebay, which I'm sure has very few paper trails....

8. Sikk

Sikk Member

I would guess that not all sales on ebay are legal, I'm with Cecil on this , proof is your burden, all you need is the right CPO with the time to pursue it. I have been told that fish of "Antiquity " are legal, but I have not read that in any Illinois law. I have seen whitetail mounts sold at the flea market with no proof of legal harvest that were obviously newer mounts, but personally I would not purchase one, because its not worth the risk to my business for me. My last inspection, I forgot to write down the hunting id # for a repeat customer, I had his deer permit, his confirmation #, and everything else,,, officer was kind a gave me a written warning, next time its a fine. Mind you his number was only over a couple pages on a log for a raccoon he wants mounted as well, but it was not on that deer log in. When it comes to the law and game animals, its up to what the officer chooses to do.... period. paul

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

In most of the states I'm aware of a skin mount of a fish is legal to sell as long as the fish was harvested or purchased legally. However I never did get clarification from Ohio as one C.O. says yes and one says no. Maybe someone here knows? Yeah doubt there are many paper trails on Ebay. LOL

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right! I tried to tell someone I know that hauls fish for a living that it doesn't matter what his interpretation of a law is it's what the LEO and judge think it is. Last I heard his attitude has gotten him in serious trouble.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    outdoorzman, I'll answer your question with a quote from my local warden "It is just a skin, once mounted, it is no longer a game fish." This is after getting a complete run around from dnr headquarters.

12. Ha, that makes sense. It's just sort of silly I guess, but I'll have to remember that line. True statement anyhow, it isn't a game fish anymore.

13. Sikk

Sikk Member

It my be just a skin, but in Illinois you can't even sell parts,, ie turkey feathers, heads, etc. I would talk dirrectly to your local CPO, in the end, its his or her interpretation that can and cause all sorts of trouble, even if you win on a judges decision, spending a couple days in court is still costing you time and money. I go as far as printing and keeping records of my CPO email responses just in case. paul

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sikk, yes do exactly that, save all emails referring to those particulars.
    Outdoorzman, when you are talking about migratory birds, that phrase no longer is true.

15. I'd love to have a big pike to mount, but everyone on here just scared the crap outta me... to much Government in our lives. The DNR would prefer them to be destroyed as to the specimans actually being mounted, to be enjoyed for years to come.

16. roonie

roonie Member

i remember when the hammer began to fall up here in Sask. Canada in terms of owls without permits etc. This poor chinese restaraunt got nailed big time for having stuffed owls all over his restaurant....they had been hanging in there for years ....the govt used this poor chineses guy to set a standard and a first example of what would happen if you got caught with one of these owls in possesion. I wasnt long before that day that a person could go out and paste any owl off of a power pole and mount it up and sell it to anyone. It all came on scene rather suddenly....i just love watching how the power of the law uses poor people to set their examples or status or power or existance...whatever word you want to use. Im sure there are more than one creeper on here trying to trap people. Trouble is the people that fall into this trap are usually the most desperate people in terms of money, poor health etc. I find the whole issue rather sad in most cases..but not all.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Roonie,

It's called picking the lowest hanging fruit. It takes a lot more effort to catch the bad guys as you usually have to catch them in the act.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A lot of these laws came about for a good reason. Back in the day sportsman were competing with market hunters that were selling wildlife for a profit. It wasn't that long ago you were lucky to see a deer or a turkey in many, but not all parts of the U.S. No closed seasons or bag limits either. Think about how you'd feel if you went out to your favorite lake and you saw people catching fish or gill netting fish to sell for profit.

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cecil you are opening a new can of worms with that statement about netting your favorite lake for profit. I see it regularly.

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What's wrong with opening up a can of worms? They're great fishing bait! ;D

Let me guess; since your avatar name is 3bears you're referring to tribal netting that is legal via treaties and is a burr up some people's butt? ;D

If so, that's not what I'm referring to, as correct me if I'm wrong there is a limit and rules that have to be abided by vs. when we had unregulated market hunting and fishing. The Native Americans can't just net as many fish as they want or whatever species they want right? And the Native American's I bought hatchery fish from were active in propogating fish, and planting them in the waters they harvest. In fact the Red Cliff tribe I used to buy Lake Nipigon hatchery Brook Trout from were active in trying to get Coaster Brook Trout reestablished in Lake Superior and didn't harvest them.

I've heard there are some really large Canadian lakes that have commercial fishing and at one time you could catch fish thst have no bag limit and resell them in New York and Vermont (such as bluegill in NY and crappies in Vermont) but that may have changed.

Conversely some southern states prohibit the sale of even private raised gamefish except for everything but pond stocking.