1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

XL pike

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by FullCryHounds, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cecil, I was referring to tribal netting and selling. I cannot comment on the exact laws pertaining to what the tribes can and can't do. For the record, I have 0 issues with sustenance netting by the tribes, it is the selling.

2. Well, the US sort of did take their home from them and impose laws they never sought... ::) But then again, if it weren't for the European invasion, the technology that enables netting on a large scale wouldn't have arrived in the manner it has....

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did you ever read how the Native Americans harvested fish on the backwaters of the Ohio River? Dragged rocks on bottom which stirred up hydrogen sulfide whiich is highly toxic and stuns fish initially. Pretty clever actually.

And of course game were coralled using fire and club lines which was pretty clever too.

4. I wasn't meaning that they weren't "clever" or intelligent, far far from that, which is why I said "enables netting on a large scale" and "in the manner it has." I was just referring to the large scale netting operations in MN that have caused such a stir in recent years. There's been a good deal of bad blood over US citizens feeling that the Tribal communities don't have the right to harvest the number of walleye they are from Lake Mille Lacs etc. It's just unfortunate there is so much frustration on both sides. I just try and stay out of any conversation regarding it other than pointing out that they were here first... though in many cases the tribes that were here when Europeans arrived often occupied land from which they had driven other tribes....

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I know you weren't saying they weren't clever or intelligent; I was just making the point that some Native Americans had figured out a way to harvest fish that didn't even require a net. I was also told by a guy that is really into Native American history, that even though they were considered savages, many Native Americans bathed more than the Whiteman, and in fact some required the Whiteman bath before showing up to trade as they reeked so badly. If you didn't bath for weeks on end you would too. According to this individual, which makes sense, a hunter without a gun had to get much closer to their prey, and you can't do that if you smell like a garbage dump. It wasn't uncommon for the French and British to dump their bedpans out the window in the streets to flush in to the nearby waterways. They also had no clue their latrines could spread disease by dumping in the same water they used to cook with.

I was in a museum in Massachusetts near where I once lived, and was taken aback by the simplicity of a recreated bow and arrow from several centuries ago. It just didn't seem like it had the power to take down anything. It was explained to me that unlike the Whiteman's sketches of them as short and squaty they were actually very large and fit specimens that could make the bow and arrow work to their advantage and were able to get very close to game.

Also keep in mind that scalping was taught to them by the Europeans that wanted proof for payment of their kill of other Europeans.

Don't get me wrong I'm not putting them up on a pedestal but they had some very interesting characteristics and know how. The worst thing you can do to a culture is relocate them and put them on welfare which is what we have effectively done.

6. yup :(

7. well if it is legal, to ship a dead frozen pike to Texas, I'll take the big one. How much ya want for it.