1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Bird.....Let me have it

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by [email protected], Mar 15, 2014.

1. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Let me first start by saying I have the utmost respect for the bird folks. This was my first bird and I have struggled on and off for the past 24 hours with it. It seems as though now, every time that I try and fix 1 thing two new problems show up :)

[​IMG]

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I'm no duck expert, but 3 things stick out right away...
    1 - wings are outside the side pockets when should be under
    2- his stance is too wide
    3- I would tuck his head lower and taxi neck up more to make it fuller...

Other things I think would help:
    Tilt butt down so it's not level
    Spread his toes and pin

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Birds are not easy to learn, but all species have there difficulties. Take your time to study the carcass before discarding it. Think from the inside out, if you do your bird will look better on the outside. Take the carcass and pose it the way you intend to mount it. Look at the mechanics of movement and how everything has it's place. Build your bird from the inside out, put it all together before mounting.

We don't always have extra birds to do this with but if you do sometime. Pluck the bird clean leaving the wings, legs and everything attached. Pose the bird how you want it and study the bird. I know everyone says study reference pictures and I get it, you need them for general placement of feather tracks etc. but the carcass is the best reference that there is.

This is something I have learned from several good bird guys and it helped me understand the mechanics of the bird. IMO if you don't understand the mechanics and movement, it's hard to make everything come together.

I hope this helps you in the future , slow down take your time and think from the inside out.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

B Jones great advice the carcass is the best teacher.what Jersey Jays said stance toes on a duck are turned in slightly, side pockets around the wings,upper eyelid closed up [down a wee bit]by tucking in the wings that depression of the breast area may go away, good for you sticking with it.That's either the real bill or you drilled out the nostrils on a casting ,it looks plump is this bird been drying for a while?? If not you can unpin wings and tuck them in.

5. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Thank you for all the input so far. I made a major mistake by skinning this bird last fall and discarding the carcass. When it came time to put it together I had nothing for measurements. I have also learned to not just whack off the bones below the ball joints because again I am just guessing at measurements and placement at this point. I don't have a wire wheel, so I did my best with a very small wire "disc" on a dremmel tool (waayyy to many holes).

Unfortunately........I had 3 gifted ducks and made the same mistake. I skinned them all and have already discarded the carcasses without saving for reference or measurements.

alan webfoot.....the bill is artificial with the nostrils drilled out.

6. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Birds take their wings in and out of the side pockets all the time,. so that isn't an issue. The neck skin could be taxied up a little. The webs are spread OK. The main issues as I see them are the overall shape of the bird. The contour of the body is irregular. (smooth lines) The legs are too wide and the ankle joint is hyperextended. The feet should toe in or Pigeon toed. The tail set is a little High. But first bird way better than my first.

7. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

It's been my experience that most bodies I've tried, are reasonably close in size. You could carve some foam where the humorous bone sits, as well as the clavicle area, and a tail slot. This could help to prevent your bird from being too long. You may have attached your femur bone too low on the mannikin. Overall it has a decent shape.