1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thoughts on Krowtann ...........

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by PredatorME, Mar 16, 2014.

1. PredatorME

PredatorME New Member

I'm thinking about trying Krowtann on a fox that I have dried and salted instead of sending it to the tannery . Anyone have good or bad luck with it , I read where some guys have experienced shrinkage with it , is that just the 2000 formula ?

Thanks , Chris

2. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Be careful. You're opening a big can of worms here. There is a ton on here about KT. Just do a search. I personally love it but that's me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. I use it on all my small game and have never had a problem with it.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

an easy preservative to use. :D

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I can't get past the smell. I had a couple of mounts that tried it on and the hide continued to pull away from the glass eyes no matter how many times I " fixed it". Never had the problem before or since. It was probably something I did wrong but I found other methods I liked better and with out that horrible smell. I used it on deer so that's the only experience I had. With all the Krowtann advocates who swear by it, I see NO reason for you to NOT try it. You might just like it.

6. Tanglewood, the problem must have been your form prep and skin prep and lack of a good glue. Why are you sniffing KT?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I am very anal about Form prep and skin prep. I promise you that those were not the issue. I used romans 555, which i consider a "good glue". I never had it happen before those capes and never had it happen after those capes. It wasn't skin pulling away, but rather, skin pulling the apoxie work away from the eyes. I would fix it and then six months later the same thing for years. They were my own and kept in the same area as all my others and only those two did it. The only variable in those capes was Krowtann. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions properly, however, since all other variables were the same as all others I have done and they were done at different times, I must have not done the Krowtann right. I have to ask, How can you not smell that stuff? Give me lacquer paint all day long. Now thats good stuff!

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Krowoil for shrinkage and pro-1 hide past to lock those eyes down .

9. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

Absolutely correct. Shaved properly a little krow oil and that pro 1 hide paste is the best with out a doubt. Locks everything down that I've done with no problem.

10. PredatorME

PredatorME New Member

Thanks for all your advice , I appreciate it !