1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best way to draw in business ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by weekley2006, Oct 10, 2006.

1. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

Hello everyone I was wondering if any of you guy or gals can tell me the best wat to get the word out my new shop opening up,I do have a big display at our local super walmart that looks very nice but i have ti try and do my business full time just starting off because of health reason and i have to wonderful kids and a wife that i have to help support.so i was just wanting some of yours advice.Thank You God Bless

Rick Weekley

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You've probably done as much as you should already. I admonish guys just starting out to be VERY careful in their advertising. YOU need time to grow as well as your business. A sudden influx of work can be overpowering while you're just learning th ropes yourself. The last thing you want is a 2 year backlog immediately. Look at the amount of work you have and how long it will take you to complete ALL of it. If that's over 2 or 3 months, you are in great shape for the upcoming deer and big game seasons nationwide. During those times, you get very little return from your labor as you're going to be caping and freezing hides most of the time. After your seasons are over, then reassess your workload and again, judge accordingly. If you're going to run out of work before spring bear/turkey season, then you may want to consider putting out business cards or putting a small advertisement in your local paper. Otherwise, word of mouth is going to be your biggest advertiser and your cheapest.

3. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    My first year I got business cards, made some cheap flyers for some of the local business that let me, had a website made, a sign on my shop, a sign in the yard, and some vinyl lettering on my truck. I don't know which one made the biggest impact, but I got in just enough to keep me busy all year. Good Luck with your new shop.

4. I agree with George. Be carefull how much you wish for and only advertise to the amount of work you can get completed in a reasonable time. If what you have already done has not produced the work you desire here are some cheap options. Make a flyer and pass it out at local gun clubs and hit the hunter safety courses. Once a peson gets a taxdermist that they like they normally don't change unless something goes wrong. Like it taking to long to get their work back. Most hunters at the safety courses are new and have not yet picked out a taxidermist.

5. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

To be honest. After making my own mistakes. Walmart is NOT the way to go. I had stuff in one for a few years and it brought me very few real hunters and fishermen. Most of our "target"customers are not the type to go to wally world. They don't want to be bothered with the big crowd and would rather hear the latest hotspot info. and rumors from the little,hometown bait shop. I could be wrong in your case but between the big bass contest I helped walmart with and the discounts I gave the sporting goods manager, I LOST!
    Vinyl license holders were probably the best advertising tool I used next to my repeat customers word of mouth. Good Luck-

6. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I also agree with some of the posts above, be carefull or you will be in the red in a hurry. Do your local yellow pages, business cards and possibly some flyer's. It's not going to happen over night. Your best advertising is going to be your work and word of mouth. If you turn out a great product and are honest to your client's you won't need to advertise. Good Luck.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wildchild, I have been trying to find vinyl license holders for some time, where did you get yours?

8. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

Cole, I can't find my invoice on them right now. You might try shooting a messege to Becky P. She got hers at the same place I did. Good people to deal with, priced right, and they send out a proof for approval before they begin your order.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Hi Jeff. They're the best, aren't they? LOL
    www.rochester100.com

10. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

Just for the record. Becky came up with the great idea and I did the research to find us a good place to deal with. ;) And yes Becky, they were exceptional!

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Thanks guys, I've already placed my order.

12. Cole---- Word of mouth will be your most important advertising tool in the long run. If you get a reputation for getting your work out when you say you will and the work is of good quality, you will be busy and people will find YOU. I'm in my third fall season full time and BY FAR my best advertising has been word of mouth. The paper is O K, and I have a radio ad during deer season. Otherwise, just business cards and referrals by happy customers. Treat people fairly, don't put one guy ahead of another because he "needs it for Christmas", and if you say eight months, get it out in seven and people will praise you (as long as the work is quality!) Good luck. :)

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

William, thanks, I have an established shop that has been open for 16 years (this will be year 8 for me, I took over the business from my father who ran it the 1st eight), I have just been looking for these license holders for a while. I do this full time and can use all the business I can get. There are a LOT of shops in the area for me to compete with (about 8 within a 20mi radius and I live in a town of 4500 people). Not complaining, business is good, but always room for improvement.

14. Sorry, Cole! That post was directed to Weekley2006. It sounds like you are doing fine. I hope I'm still doing this on my own terms in 16 years! Thanks! :)