1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big Time taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by kbcountry, Mar 18, 2014.

1. As I sit here this morning doing finish work on some white tails, I'm thinking about all those stinking europeans I have been putting off. My question....do
    "Big Time" whitetail taxidermist like Rick Carter and Bill Yox still mess with europeans are is it like getting Picaso to paint your front porch?

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm no big time taxidermist, but them euros sure do pay a lot of bills!!

3. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I outsource all mine which is a bunch each year. Still make money for basically doing nothing.

4. M.P keep working at it you'll get there. but guys like Rick and Bill with a reputation for world class white tail mounts surely don't want to mess with europeans.

5. michael p.

I'll take as many as I can get! I LOVE THEM!!

6. "Different strokes for different folks"

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I would take them year round. $100 for 2hrs work with little cost!

8. michael p.

We get $175 and have put out 117 so far this season

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

that's oprah money

10. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Refer all euros to MP.

11. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I get $150 for a deer euro and that's just to clean and whiten the Skull. Panels are extra. I have been sending mine out to get cleaned for the last 2 seasons.

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I have guy's doing them for $50 in my area

13. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I hate messing with European skull mounts. I don't encourage it but I don't refuse them either. I do them for regular clients but if someone calls to price shop for them I send them to taxidermy buddies. I'm no way a "big time" taxidermist. I work alone in a basement and don't have room to turn around in. I literally charge about half the amount I should. At best, I may have been a big fish in a very small pond years ago. Most of the locals have never heard of me. They never saw a taxidermy trade journal or went to any conventions or looked through a supply catalog. They still think one of the worst hacks I have ever seen is "hands down the best" in the entire state! lol

Anyone who really is "Big Time" in the world is definitely not doing taxidermy.

14. gab

gab Active Member

the big time taxidermists are the ones that know how to make a profit and know where the best opportunity for profit is

15. Thanks Rick for taking the time to answer my question. I wish I was "good as you" so I did'nt have to mess with stinking,rotten,maggot infested skulls.and in my little "taxidermy world" your still "Big Time".

16. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ROFLMAO Hey Rick don't let George know your a basement taxidermist gee we all thought your a big time guy lol. Those who know Rick is no where nears that big time guy but big with knowledge and kinship but not a big head! Yep and I gotta say love working in tight quarters!

ps I take them in and have a bug guy pick them up and do the work. It's a quick $75.00 for a few hours of work!

17. Frank if a bug guy picks them up, what do you do to them that takes 2 hours of work.? I thought they should come back clean.

18. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I charge $150, my daughter does them and I give her 100% of the profit.

19. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I love them! I get $225 for deer and $395 for elk. We take in close to 185 per year. There is nothing else in this business where you can make that kind of profit that quick. I get them out In 2-3 weeks and customers are thrilled. I some right, they can be a huge boost to your income. I have a super slick system of doing them and they don't stink up the place. But, I'm not a big time taxidermist either!!

20. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I meant if done right.... Stupid phones.