1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

More grease

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by hairy perch, Mar 19, 2014.

1. I had a hog skull de-greasing for over 3 months. The water it came out of was finally clear,so I whitened the skull and sealed it with paraloid/acetone . While it was drying the top of the skull turned yellow. My guess is that more grease came through when the acetone hit it. My question is what can I use to get the paraloid out so I can try finish de-greassing the skull? also what caused the skull to leach more grease since it all seemed to be out when I whitened it?

2. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Soak the skull in acetone and it will dissolve the sealer and also degrease the skull

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Soak in acetone for a couple of months and then go back to Dawn/water .. or ammonia. I like to let skulls sit for a bit before I seal them. Sort of a final check for grease. But the paraloid is easy to remove.

4. Thank you Bones and Sea Wolf. Also how many times can I use the acetone, right now it has a yellow color to it from one use. Do I just keep adding acetone, as it evaporates?

5. Sea Wolf

The yellow is probably grease in it. I'm not sure how to tell when it is saturated. Acetone is highly volatile and you have to keep the container covered. Any plastic container with a 2 on the bottom can be used with acetone but it is also highly flammable so you need to treat it like gasoline. Maybe take some of the yellow acetone and drip some on a brown paper bag. Let it evaporate and see how much grease shows on the paper. If not a lot, keep using it. If you let the skull sit in it for a few days and it's yellow, just leave it alone for at least a month before you think about changing it out. Hogs especially take time and you can't rush it.

6. Thank you again Sea Wolf for sharing your knowledge. Very helpful

7. catfish hunter

catfish hunter New Member

I was struggling with a hog skull ,two months in and it was pumping grease out,I needed the room in my degrease tank due to deer season coming ,I did a search on here and found true bond and decided it was best to try it and see what kind of results I could get with it. It worked great and cut my time and showed fast results in little time ,I don't get many hogs in but when I do them now I start with dawn for the first month or so then switch to the true bond to help it along

8. Catfish Hunter;
    What exactly is true bond and how does it work on getting the grease out. The only thing I found out on this was that is was some sort of concrete sealer. Also if it is some kind of degreaser, where do you buy it.

9. Sea Wolf

Interested in what the other "True Bond" is as well. All I know it as is a heavy construction adhesive.

10. catfish hunter

Seawolf lipposolve ,I never used commercial degreaser here until this season ,I got swamped with wholesale bears and a couple hogs ,I started with oxidizing after bugs ( ones I didn't macerate) then used dawn for the first couple changes then used this stuff and was surprised how well it worked ,I don't use it on deer or thinner bone do to cost but harder skulls that have tough spots this worked for me ,I also use it on small fragile stuff to speed it up ,I just started a monitor skull and don't want it in long when using heat to help it stay together as much as possible ,using this stuff as of day 2 is working fast
    http://www.trubondtanning.com/Taxidermy-Degreasers_c10.htm

11. Sea Wolf

Curious if you can provide some info off the label. Does it say what is in it? If not, is there a product code or manufacturer name on the label anywhere? I'm looking for the MSDS sheet on this stuff and True Bond and Lipa-Solv bring up nothing at all.

12. Sea Wolf;
    Just called trubond and ordered a pint of the stuff. They said they would send the MSDS sheet with the order. It should arrive sometime tomorrow. When it does I will send you a copy and also a copy of the label to your email.
    Bruce

13. catfish hunter

I'm not in the shop today but will in the am when I'm able to get there. I was struggling with some grease and had nj bear hunting season starting so I started doing a search on here and found this post and decided to take a try being bear season was coming it could only help me if it worked ,I ran a test run on some of my resale skulls that I buy ,one yote one fox and figuring I was looking to degrease it I used a coon (pia grease) I gave them each there own bucket right out of the bug box and set my temp at an even 110 on the thermostat so I knew exactly how I can use this if it worked ,now as the salesmen had told me it's not a silver bullet but it does work better then dawn ,after a couple changes the water usually cleans up a bit with dawn ,not with this stuff by day 4 each skull was in its own 4 gallon pail and pumping grease ,if I didn't change the water every 24 hours I had a brown grease slime film on top of the water like I never seen ,I was very impressed with it and after the dry period I illuminated the images I took and these skulls were grease free ,now came bear season and my wholesale work picked up fast ,I ran 15 buckets for bears and the rest for my deer heads, a lot of bears I macerate but to to an overwhelming death smell here as it was I was feeding half the bears to my bugs ,I marked one bucket for dawn only and one for this stuff to see what would happen ,I did both in bugs and oxidized right after for 24 hours then proceeded in the marked buckets ,in the end the true bond was done I think around 8 days sooner on same size skulls ,in a place my size 8 days means a lot since space is limited and I was overloaded at that point on skulls to do ,so now I keep some here for those tricky grease spots that add time on or halfway through a bear I will use it ,if your half way you can use this and not have to change water as often as dawn,I find it keeps working beyond when soap quits .is it cost effective in some ways yes for me on bears on deer I still use dawn w/ bleach altern.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=294936.0

14. catfish hunter

This is the yote I did a test run on ,it was from a 48 lb dog from nj ,these are usually a a 12-15 day skull for me to do ,so in the end run I save time which let's me get the next one going and the customer gets his head back faster ,which all of them seem to want here,it's very rare here to have a guy tell you to take your time here,in nj we have guys call the day after it was dropped of ,lol so this does help me
    [​IMG]

15. Sea Wolf

Thanks Bruce. If I could get the number off a container of it I should be able to look it up on the MSDS site itself too.

16. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Hmm, this one still as grease in lower jaw.

17. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    ya ,I tried this stuff last year when that other post started up ,that was a waste of money.. stick to your dawn soap.

18. catfish hunter

Slammer the spot you see is glue ,due to injury I was unable to feel my hands so I clear coated one coat first then glued teeth then wiped of glue so it didn't set into bone

19. Got some in and tried it. Do not waste your money. I put a deer skull in that I had in the dawn. Had it in there for over a week now with no grease coming out of it. back to the dawn. Should have known it was too good to be true.

20. Wow; funny to find this thread, because I was wondering how lipa-solv would work for degreasing skulls. I use it to degrease hides for tanning, and it is amazing at how much blood and other stuff it pulls from the hides during rehydration. It's all stuff that was in the hide, but just could not be seen. I even used it on a deer hide, and came out with red water; that's not even a greasy animal.

I a going to try it in place of Dawn too. Got some cats, opossum, muskrat and a doe deer in Dawn now but if the LS works better, I want to do that.