1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how would you deal with this customer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by pataxidermist, Mar 19, 2014.

1. pataxidermist

pataxidermist New Member

I have a customer who I have mounted a number of deer for in the past, he just picked up his most recent mount told me it looked great, paid the reminder of the bill and left. Problem is he called about an hour later and said the cape was not his, he was looking at pictures of when he shot it and said the head had a lot darker color on the one he shot. I told him it had to be his cape because we punch the invoice # in each cape so there is no mistake. Also his deer was shot in the right shoulder and had a big hole which we fixed but was some what noticeable (to me at least ) so he agreed the mark was right were he shot it so it had to be his. I told him there is a lot of dirt that gets washed out when it go's though the tanning processes, he agrees and says "well it has to be mine" and thanks me. I get a call today from the same guy say's he knows for sure that it is not his deer cape, has been looking over pictures again and say's there is no way it is his. Wants to know what I am going to do about it? Sorry for the long story just wondering how every one else would handle this.

2. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

There will be no pleasing him, he is fishing for some financial gain no doubt. If you hold true to the processes you used then you can be assured that cape is his.

3. Ask if he took the photo using a gray scale, because exposure of the camera can cause things to look different in a photo than in real life.

4. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

The stories seem similar this isn't the deer is it?

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,364921.0.html

5. pataxidermist

pataxidermist New Member

NO it is not the same deer that was posted the other day. I would give that guy a refund and quit doing taxidermy altogether if that kind of work left my shop. I take a lot of pride in what go's out my door and will not let anything leave if I am not happy with it or know something is wrong.

6. Toeknee22

Toeknee22 New Member

I figured it wasn't, what's the chance of that but anyway, welcome to the forum!

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

sounds like your dang if you do & dang if you don't. if your 100% sure its his cape then your end of the work is done. no one wants to loose customers. even if they are on going. put sooner or later it happens. ;)

8. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

If your 100% positive it his hide , stand your ground !!! If he walks so be it . Sounds like he's wantin a free mount

9. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

If you know 100% that it is his cape then you did your job. No one likes to loose a customer but it does happen. Continue doing a good job and move on. Your not going to please 100% of people 100% of the time.

10. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Does the old saying "the customer is always right' not apply here..............................j/k I would tell him I'm 100% sure its yours and I'm sorry that you don't think it is but it is and I cant do anything about it. If you give him even a partial refund he'll pull the same crap next time and nobody needs that kind of trouble

11. Pictures can really change things. White balance adjustments or even lighting can alter colors a lot. I got out a cape the other day that I KNOW Is the right cape. I then posted up the harvest pics and thought what the heck at first. The pics looked like a reddish light color cape. So just to be sure (even though I was). I checked all markings, ear split, etc. the cape was grey with a red forehead. The difference was the picture was taken on the bed of a red truck with a flash. I realized the flash changes the color when I got it mounted up today and flashed the pics of it to check alignment. I kinda smiled to myself at how it matched his pic now perfectly. The sky being bright cloudy and ESP at night affects pics. If you know it's his doing anything other than comparing all markings and explaining deer have never had a bath you've done all I would do. Anything else your accepting guilt.

12. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Snap a few photos of a mounted deer
    Take (2) in each scenario; flash on and off
    Inside under fluorescent lights
    Indoors with incandescent light
    Outside at nighttime with flash
    Outside during daylight with sun
    Outside in daylight with clouds

In those photos I'm sure you will get some variety of the same hide... Do that and show him how the camera could have captured the colors wrong

13. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

He picked it up satisfied, called you back and by the end of the conversation was satisfied, calls again and now he's questioning himself not really you at this point. I would assure him your way of punch coding is as fool proof as possible an move on. Can't please them all. Good luck.

14. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Here's an example.. Same skull. Photo taken seconds apart indoors one with flash one with out.... Color difference is very noticeable...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pataxidermist

pataxidermist New Member

I told him about how a camera will capture different shades in different settings, now he is saying the nose isn't wide enough on the mount his deer's nose was wider. I told him I am done with him taking up my time, and I know it is his deer. It just really tic's me off. Thanks for all the responses

16. cooper

cooper New Member

If you believe you want to try to keep him as a customer you might consider giving him $100 gift certificate for his next shoulder mount. What ever amount you feel comfortable and how much you want to keep him as a customer. Never discount current piece.

17. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Just tell him the deer is his and that you are done with it. These are the kind of customers you do not want anyhow. Weed him out and move on.

18. There is just no pleasing certain people. It's just in their nature. Keep Calm and Carry On!

19. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Im sorry but how does he know that his deers nose was wider? Most hunters only see there deer a few hours and 98% of that is staring at the rack.

20. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Some people will never be satisfied. I try not to let stuff like this get under my skin. I do hundreds of mounts annually. there will be someone in the mix who takes issue with something. I give it my best shot at pacifying them. If that doesn't work, then I've done all I can do. They are NOT getting their money back or credit toward another mount. I have offered a few full refunds, but only if they bring the specimen back, and have never had anyone take me up on that.