1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Part of eyelid missing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ada2453, Mar 19, 2014.

1. My brother caped out this mule deer to have me mount it for my nephew. It was pretty rough when I received it. Lot's of holes and split up the brisket. I sewed all the holes up and glued holes around the eyes. One of the eyes looks like it is missing a portion of the eye lid. I'm not sure what to do about it. Should I just try to tuck it in when I get it on the manikin? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mount like usual, use good glue and pull the thing together, watch it as it dries for several days and keep pulling the cut together gently. sometimes nothing to the finish work but a little paint, sometimes you will need apoxie clay to fill in any gaps and then paint.

3. Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

4. Tmalone is right on. I get them like that all of the time. I like using the gel Super Glue. Nurse it and use reference.

5. That looks like an aweful lot to replace I'd just get another cape instead of that one.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Whatever you decide, teach your brother how to cape a deer damn it. I had a customer pay a "professional" to cape a deer for him in another state, that looked about like that around both eyes. Not a chance I was fixen it, at standard rate. New cape was his only option. He declined, oh well.

7. It was the first time he's ever caped one out. He needs some practice for sure!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You're in good shape. I had a kudu with the whole eye orbit missing. Follow TMalone's advise. When it's completely dry, take a scalpel and shave off any high spots. Take some "natural" Apoxie and fill your gaps. Use Super Solvent and a stiff bristle artists brush. Stipple the entire area after feathering the edges. Then gently use the brush to create "hair" lines. Let cure and then airbrush the repair. You'll never see it.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I shot a deer in the back of the head with my 7mm mag. The exit wound was about 4" in diameter right through the left eye. I did what George said to do and it turned out pretty good. The only reason I mounted it was to see if I could fix it. I was equal to the challenge so I know that you can fix that easy enough.

10. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I have an antelope cape that I was shaving and I put a hole right above the eye and it cut all the eyelashes off. Is there a way to fix that? Patch from an extra cape?

11. George

Same fix. Then visit your local makeup counter prepared for the clerk to think you're a cross-dresser, and but a pair of artificial eyelashes. With my kudu, the lady suggested some nice eyeshadow.

12. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Thank you George. But man I would be one hell of an ugly cross dresser. Lol

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Don't waste money on a new cape. George and Tmalone are right. It will turn out fine.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    To all those that say fix it, would you charge extra for this fix?

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I don't commonly charge for those kind of fixes. You mentioned having to sew up the brisket. Many charge for that. I usually build most minor repairs into my cost.

16. George

I don't usually. I'm a candy ass when it comes to little things like this. I figure many of the guys had the hides done by commercial guys just wanting them out of camp so they can get their tips. The $25-$30 you might make extra will be spent and might be the breaking point for a return business customer. I damned sure would let him know what I'd done and tell him what it would cost if you weren't such a good guy. It's still cheapr advertising compared to putting your work in WalMart.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I give them a separate receipt with the amount of extra time for the repairs and how much my shop rate is an hour. I then put the total amount due for repairs. Then I usually, but not always, put this amount is waived. Most repairs are so minor that it is more of a hassle to charge for it. I would not charge extra for that eye if a customer brought that in. I would give him the "waived receipt" and explain the way to avoid that in the future. They would be so happy that the eye came out great and I didn't charge them THIS TIME and they'll be back next year.

18. Thanks for the help. I truly appreciate it!

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks, to the folks that answered my question. I have made repairs, similar to this, on prior mounts, but not for free. To those that say you don't charge for it, you gave examples of reasons why you don't and they almost make sense, I say almost because I still can't see doing extra work for free, but to each their own. The way I see it is they get the repair of up to 2 holes for the standard price, an entrance and an exit. Those are often times unavoidable, but a hacked up face, after the critter is dead, most definitely is avoidable.

20. George

I told you I was a candy ass, 3bears. What else do you want. LOL