1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Random Inspection by Game Warden

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jhunter13, Mar 20, 2014.

1. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Well, I made it through my first surprise inspection. I also recieved my first verbal warning. For some dumb reason I didnt check in my own deer I harvested this year. Lesson learned!
    Thanks to everyone for posting to this site, several shop practices that I use have come from this site and they made the inspection much smoother than it could have been.

2. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

what and were did they inspect? what did they say?

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    did you really let them dig through your stuff ;D

4. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

I was driving down a back road after hunting season one day and a warden stopped me because he said he saw blood on my trunk lid and they,2 of them pulled everything i had in the car,glove box and trunk out and scattered it all over the ground,even threw the back seat out and found nothing and then got in there truck and halled ass with not even saying squat. a warden can do anything they want,period. so they say

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

They are subject to the same laws and controls as any law enforcement officer. They have no more authority than any other officer. That being said, it is usually easier for them to justify probable cause for a search considering the laws they enforce, the nature of their job and the venue in which they practice. A taxidermist's shop is a place where hunted game is often stored. The very nature of our work invites reasonable cause for a search to verify everything we possess was taken legally.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    MLP not to mention, they have your address.

7. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

When I applied for my state license the fine print stated very clearly that the premises was going to be randomly inspected during reasonable hours unannounced. It was a little nerve racking at first but by the end it wasnt to bad.

8. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

not to change the subject but talking abought state license,i live in florida and i was told i will not have to have a license other than occupational. any truth to that?

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Wow....just wow..

Some folks just don't learn.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,96855.0.html

Pay close attention to the posts of Paul C and George...

10. cyclone

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,22418.0.html

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&case=/data2/circs/3rd/992198p.html&friend=nytimes

11. cyclone

You're kidding, really?

12. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Totally ridiculous statement. Maybe in the liberal utopia that Obama types dream about but not in the USA .... yet.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, I think I know what you meant, but your words certainly didn't come out right. Perhaps Ralph Garland was correct when he once said, "I don't trust anyone. I've been a crook at times and I figure everyone else is too." Taxidermists are simply gullible people who honestly think "if I don't have anything to hide, why worry". You worry because you don't trust the other humans involved in the equation. The only separation we have between dictatorship and freedom is "the law". The law applies to each of us individually and a bunny cop wearing a badge and carrying all that bluster only buffaloes those who fall for his line. I know the laws and I know my rights. He can "suspect" all he wants, but until he follows the law and shows me a lawful warrant, he only gets what the law allows him to look for. Our business is no different from a mechanic's, but because a cop walks into a garage, it doesn't give him the right to look for a chop shop. Suspicions and reasonable cause are to greatly different things.

Today's game wardens carry "unscrupulous" to a whole different meaning. Most states have them tied into that infamous "Homeland Security", and they think they can still take the liberties they've enjoyed for decades of us being guilty until proven innocent. SURE, not all of them are that way. I'd like to think MOST of them aren't that way, but they don't wear signs telling me which one they are. Since the bad ones can ruin not only my business, but my life, I consider it MY JOB to insure that he's doing his job according to the laws in place.

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I had a couple of wardens watch me walk back to my truck after deer hunting. When I got back to the truck they took my rifle to make sure it was lead free. After they checked I reached for it and they pulled it back and said I'd get it after they were done searching my vehicle. They didn't mention any suspicion, or reason. They pulled everything out and left it in the dirt They even emptied my ice chest of all the ice and contents. While they were searching they laid my rifle against my truck and it fell messing up the scope and scratching the scope. When I asked why they emptied the ice chest they said I could be hiding game in it like quail. I only had a .300. It's ridiculous.
    In my book of DFG laws it excludes game you do for yourself as having to be marked.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Did they ask for permission to search your vehicle? Unless you gave it, they're required to follow the same procedures as state and federal law officers. No way is he going through my truck without a warrant . I've heard that, "If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem?" or "Well, you'll have to remain here until we get a warrant." I tell them, "I don't have any other plans, I can wait." Then I get the "cooperation" bullspit that I don't buy into either. We as hunters and fishermen have allowed this crap for so long they ASSUME they can do it with impugnity. With this Marxist band in DC, screw them all. They can play by the book just like I have to.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

George, I didn't give consent, but they didn't ask. Now I know and anytime I am asked I tell them I don't consent to any searches. I've learned my lesson.

17. RobertK

RobertK New Member

In the state of florida no special permit other than federal permit for waterfowl is required. An occupational license to legally conduct business is required as you stated.

18. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Exactly George,
    I've had my share of that crap back in the early '90s.
    I paid good money on leagal fees but in the end it was an embarrassment to the Game commission and they didn't get one nickel.

19. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

My first comment was perhaps incomplete, or poorly worded. I was trying to point out what others here have said so well, that they do NOT have any more authority than any other law enforcement official. They do, as do many law enforcement officers of all kinds, push the envelope exercising their authority often invading people's civil liberties. I was just pointing out that that the nature of a game warden's area of law enforcement, and the venue for most hunters and for us as taxidermists provide areas for them to push that envelope claiming "probable cause," even if their probable cause won't stand up in court. Most people don't know their rights or can't afford to fight them in court. They've got their bluff in on folks and they will often push as far as you will let them.

20. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

That sure is correct. Not only are the authorities quoted as saying " ignorance of the law is no excuse " but also "ignorance of your rights is your burdance ".