1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Packaging Material

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oagie, Mar 20, 2014.

1. I recently had a fish show up at a customers site in pieces. The head was broken off the body, the board I mounted on the fish to screw to the habitat base was broken in half and the foam rocks on the habitat were also broken off. Thanks USPS.

Regardless, I am going to repair the damage for my customer, but I am nervous about packing up and sending out this new fish.

So, what do you all use for packaging material inside the boxes. Other then crumpled up newspaper.

Cheers.
    Chuck.

2. Once you have the mount in the box like you want it fill the void around the fish with packing peanuts. This will help cushion and support the fish.

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Ditto on the packing peanuts. I order large quantities of them from ULINE, and fill every empty space around the crate, or however I pack them with the peanuts, and so far , so good.

4. There was a discussion on here a while back about the peanuts actually sticking to the gloss and when removed left a mark.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

You can use several packing materials. I've used styrofoam, paper from Research Manekins, rolled insulation, zip lock bags filled with air, one of the best is carpet pad, but you need to make sure you secure the fish or diorama into the box. I use drywall screws with washers and then tape over the heads when finished. There are many more little tricks also, but not enough time to write them down.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I received a crappie blank from Dondi a while back and it had to be one of the best packaged replicas I've ever seen. It was secured to a frame within the box - a small H using 2x2's at the bottom of the box. Then, he used shrink wrap to go around the fish in a couple of areas to secure it to the H frame. The best of both worlds using the peanuts and shrink wrap as a cushion and also securing the fish. The problem with securing a fish to a frame or screws and fender washers, is that it has absolutely no give. You have to use shrink wrap or something to create a shock absorber otherwise when UPS tosses your box the fish will flex/break at it's weakest, heaviest point. Typically the head juncture. Been there/done that myself too!

When shipping fish I first admit that I also hate it! I'm always worried about damage with whomever you use and however you package it. Best way actually is to have UPS do it all for you if it isn't too cost inefficient. That way they'll actually pay out if they lose or damage your mount because they can't claim it wasn't wrapped properly when they packaged it! That's the only way they'll cover a damage claim from what I hear.

When I ship, I first may secure the box with pieces of cardboard inside the box doubling up the ends and adding support. I'd buy double strength boxes but I sure the heck can't find any in the cost effective shipping sizes I need. I save whatever boxes may work when I receive supplies from McKenzie ;) I card/staple all the fins/tail first. Then, bubble wrap around the fins and any fragile areas. Then, I'll wrap the whole fish in bubble wrap - a bigger bubble. Lastly, I fill the bottom of the box with peanuts and voids in the box with newspaper or those bigger plastic air bubbles for packaging that I've saved from McKenzie orders ;)! And lay the fish down in it checking for clearance. Making sure I have a few inches of space on every side. Then, I just add more peanuts/newspapers until the package is snug and tape it shut. Peanuts don't ever touch the fish...

7. I used to have a whole room dedicated to packaging (boxes, shipping peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.) which took up a lot of room and in the event of a claim, (having done the packaging yourself) made things much more difficult. A couple years ago I started taking my items to my local pack & mail place and just let them take care of it and it has worked out great so far. I've developed a good relationship with them, they do a good job and I sleep better at night knowing they are responsible if something is damaged. I simply make a phone call to them with basic info & they quote me a price which gets charged to my customer.

8. Sikk

Sikk Member

some great advice, since I do not have a packing place locally I have to ship my own, I too use a combination of re-inforced boxes, bubble wrap and peanuts. I have even double boxed some tems with bubble wrap filling the void on all sides between the two boxes. so far so good. I stopped shipping fish attached to habitat beacuase that is when I have had fish damaged in shipping. , generally I ship the habitat in one box, the fish in a second. with the customer informed on how to attach the fish. paul

9. den007

den007 Active Member

Lake Country has one of the best packing techniques available……….surrounding the fish with a foam cocoon. This type of equipment is very, very expensive. They will make the box for you custom fit for the fish if you ask. If you have to do it on your own, it is not cheap, but can be done with Great Stuff foam. Blow a can into the box, cover with plastic….sink the fish into it while it is still soft. You now have a pocket of your fish. Stuff peanuts, bubble wrap, whatever over this and get a tight fit in the box with your fish. It does work.

10. UFD

UFD Member