1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Human death masks

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Warbird, Mar 20, 2014.

1. I'm interested in casting human death masks. Of course I ,with the help of an assistant, would be the first subject. I purchased some plaster impregnated gauze for the mold, but am perplexed on what I might use to cast the positive part. Thinking about trying flesh tinted white beeswax for a natural Caucasian appearance.
    Does anyone here have any experience with the process ? Advice, tips, and techniques would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance........John

2. Riverland

Riverland New Member

there was a booth at rhe world show that a cast human head. they had quite a bit of casting stuff and adgesives. might have been whoever makes derma-grip.

3. Riverland

Riverland New Member

also look for the cable show "faceoff ". they make positives on there and build rhem into monsters.

4. Use google, there is a ton of stuff on the web about making face cast. Fangora is a magazine that covers a lot of FX for movies.

5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

do a search for "life casting".

Don't have your kids standing behind you as you do your search, there is a lot of "skin". ;D

6. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

Smooth-on & several others have videos on YouTube that go into detail on this subject.

7. Here is one of many. I think you should change your title to "Life" casting though, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixy4eohycWM

8. Lots of great answers to my questions. Thanks everyone!

9. sculptor666

sculptor666 New Member

the material is called alginate, you can find it here:

http://www.polytek.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=284

depends how you do it, but you can make a mother mold using plaster strips, which helps the alginate retain its overall shape when you pull it off the model.