1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Fleshing machine for beginners?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Courtney_Laredo, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Courtney_Laredo

Courtney_Laredo New Member

I'm just now completing a 5 week taxidermy course and setting up a personal shop at home. I haven't used a fleshing machine myself yet and want to know what I should look for in buying one. I don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want to buy one I would "outgrow" later on. What do you think is the best machine for the money?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

My first and last was a Dakota Pro. It was pretty easy to learn. And it is pretty heavy duty. Since I have no experience with others, that is all I have to offer.

3. I have a Dakota Pro now. I started with Mini Flesher, then Dakota 4. Each was progressively easier to use, quicker, and did a nicer job. If you can swing it - get the Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Courtney_Laredo

Thanks for the replies! Will look into each of those

5. Courtney_Laredo

Another question. Can a mini flesher be used successfully to flesh a whole hide or cape?

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

YES ;D

7. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Go with the Dakota pro over those other two. The difference in cost won't take long for a better machine to pay for itself. I have a Dakota v and I wish I went with the pro, I have used one it is a sweet machine

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I would have saved several thousand dollars if I'd bought a quality machine instead of the POS I wasted money on including a miniflesher.

9. doedumatch

doedumatch Member

Dakota pro if your planning on making it a long time hobby/career

10. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Also one of the best peices of equipment I have bought for my business was the whizzard by betcher industries for fleshing hides

11. George

OK Dan, I gotta call bullspit on this one. Why would any BEGINNER invest in such a gimmick? How much less would he pay for a real fleshing machine? And why would anyone waste time on a fancy "Foredom" tool" that only moves a few square inches of hide when a fleshing machine can move a swath 4 inches wide a foot long in one swipe? I've seen the Betcher and used it, and I'd just as soon have the electric mini flesher because it's cheaper. FOR A BEGINNER, the learning curve will be much less on a fleshing machine than on these gimmicks adapted and sold as taxidermy tools.

12. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Well George for one thing your not picking up the hide to flesh it so it doesn't kill your back and shoulders, you can flesh on a flat tabletop verses bending over a fleshing beam also better for your back, I find that I am much faster on the whizzard yes you are correct it only takes abou half as much material with each pass but it takes about half as much effort as well, actually i take that back i think it takes as much material or more than a fleshing machine as you are not limited to the depth that your machine is set at it will remove meat an inch thick all the way to the skin in a single pass and i do strokes close to two feet long with each pass. It is also very user friendly it was easy to use the very first time. You are also right that it is very expensive but you can find them cheap used, I bought a used one for 50 bucks and it works fine. If mine were to go out I would not hesitate in buying a new one. Money well spent

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Take a look George, it surprised me. Although the word "defats" is not in the dictionary I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLvlOCt0Wc

Dan, what do the blades cost and how long do they last?

14. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    The blades are about 15 or 20 bucks and you just steel them as you go and they cost more to sharpen than to buy new about 3 or 4 blades will last me the whole season

15. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

How much are those whizzards I went to there website and didn't see a price

16. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    There not cheap. I think over 2 grand new

17. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

theres one in the "for sale" section right now for 900 bucks. thats a steal.
    Dans right, they go for over 2 grand for a new one.

18. George

As I said, not exactly a "beginner" gimmick. You could buy 2.5 Dakota Vs for that price.

19. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Now your talking two different applications, a Dakota is used after pickle to shave, the wizards is used on green hides. So now if you don't plan on tanning and live in or get Bison, elk, oryx and hogs it would be a wise choice to get the wizard. He'll if I was full time I would have bought that one already after 12 hours on a 9x8 Bison rug that darn near killed me.

20. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Although the topic of the Wizard doesn't exactly apply to the original question, I do want to weigh in here in defense of the machine. As said previously, it may not be a beginner tool, but I for one would buy another one tomorrow if mine crashed today. I'm probably in the minority, but I am not capable of properly fleshing anything with a fleshing knife, regardless of the make, model cost or quality of the knife. Having trapped since I was a kid, I just never got the hang of it. I have tried and tried and watched other people do it, but apparently fleshing is one of those things I simply haven't been able to master. However, ten minutes into fleshing with the Wizard, I was turning out clean hides easier and faster than I ever had.

So, perhaps its not the tool for everyone, but it is certainly not a gimmick as eluded to earlier in this topic.