1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ReplicasInc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Is it required to charge sales tax to do a fish replica for a customer. I know some states require tax on services and some do not. Is a replica a service or are they buying a product?

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

It depends on YOUR state laws. If you charge sales tax on taxidermy work, then I would think that you would be expected to charge and collect it on a replica. Every state is different, so a call to the revenue department seems to be in order.

3. If you find out you are required to pay sales tax. You may want to talk to them about out of state customers also.

4. Sikk

Sikk Member

In Illinois I am required to pay a use tax ( sales) on all products and supplies I purchase that I do not pay a sales tax on, in other words I pay it after purchase, if the seller does not charge me their sales tax. If they do charge sales tax, then I dop not pay the use tax. clear as mud? I believe only companies that have business located in Illinois are required to charge the sales tax. it can get very confusing with inter state agreements on taxes, I would contact your state sales tax rep and get the answer directly from them. paul

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Old Fart gave you the best advice here, talk to the office in your state that regulates sales tax. In MN labor is not taxable but taxidermy is and that can be confusing. The customer typically is paying us to preserve their trophy, that they provided. We are selling a service or labor. But the state figures it more like manufacturing and selling a product. Therefore we are required to collect sales tax. Pertaining to a fish replica that should be more cut and dry, you are supplying or selling the complete end product. If your state has sales tax, then I would have to think you would be required to collect it.

6. Thanks for all the input. my Accountant is looking in to the matter. I was just curious what the rest of you did. I do know an awful lot of taxidermist not charging or reporting sales tax, they all defend their position by saying they provide a service they are not selling a product. I knew it needed to be looked into. thanks again for the responses.

7. They are evading tax!! They don't collect the tax because they don't want the government knowing how much they make.

The argument that its a service is BS.

IF you are pricing your taxidermy like a business then you are selling products.
    when you purchase materials (forms, eyes,.....) you should be marking them up, if not you should take a business class.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. There are states that do not require to pay sales tax on taxidermy. It is considered a service in those states.

Be careful of your accountant looking in to it. My very reputable accountant was having me collect sales tax on out of state customers. Another local taxidermists was doing the same thing until he called the PA. Dept of Revenue and found out different.

9. The best thing to do would be ask your Dept of Revenue, State Comptrollers Office or whatever it's called in your state to get the correct answer.

I'm in Texas and my rep at the state comptrollers office told me.
    To say you don't need to collect tax on out of state customers is false.
    If they are from out of state but in your shop paying for something then you charge tax.
    You do not collect tax on out of state customers only if you are shipping the item out of state.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. As long as they don't step foot in my shop they don't pay sales tax.

Are your panties in a wad because you were WRONG about taxidermy being a service in some states?

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

No sales tax on taxidermy in MS. Replicas would be included in that here.

12. No sales tax on taxidermy in LA.
    [​IMG]

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

We have the same law...I have to pay sales tax to the State of Mississippi on materials I purchase from Louisiana, Alabama, NC, or any other state. It really stinks to have to cut a check for a grand or so every January for that purpose.

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Where I live...New Hampshire...we have no sales tax or income tax either coming or going. NICE!!! JL