1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting without turned lips and eyes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ameliabeth, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

I've seen a stunning fox pelt but its been garment tanned so doesnt have its eyes or lips turned etc. Is there any way i could attach a strip of fabric or something else suitable as a replacement for what should be there to turn in? Or is it a lost cause. Thanks in advance :)

2. Are they not turned/split or have they been cut off?

If not turned, then split them.

If cut off just pin it. I know a few taxidermist that cut off and pin everything

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

I wont know how its eyes and mouth were tanned/if theyve been left etc until it arrives in the mail however im just really happy you have told me that it is possible to mount a pelt without it being turned :)

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You can do the lay method on the eyes and use a cast lip for the lips.

5. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

What is the lay method? I've also got my eye on an amber fox pelt but its lip has been cut off on one side. Should i buy another face and sew it on or try and mount with the cut off lip and see how it looks?

6. boarhunter67

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,93742.0.html

7. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

Wow that look awesome. Can you thin the eyes on a tanned pelt or do you only thin them before you tan? And is it just as easy doing the mouth the same way?

8. boarhunter67

You do your final thinning and detail work after tanning. For the lips, look at cast lip forms.

9. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

So what you're saying is, only mount with a cast lip form? Because it has the black gum?
    Sorry, I'm new to this so I have to have it dummed down :)

10. boarhunter67

Mount on a form that already has lips because you said you have no lips to tuck. That will make it easier on you. Or, buy skins that are properly prepped.

11. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

generally I do try and buy skins that are properly prepped but I'm having a very hard time finding an amber fox skin that's complete and where the seller will ship to the UK, if I found one that was properly prepped I'd buy it, but I don't think I have that luxury.

12. ameliabeth

ameliabeth New Member

Also, I want to mount the fox with its mouth closed, no teeth on show so would I still need a fake jaw set for that?

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't agree with boarhunter on the cast lip. You DON'T see animals lips on a closed mouth mount. Look at a pet dog. I would suggest using a 2-part epoxy paste on the face. I use #30 Paste from EpoGrip as it gives me 6 hours to work it. Get your skin in place, paint the epoxy up under the skin and pin the skin snug to the lip line. One satisfied with the placement, leave the pins in for 24 hours. Then pull the pins to avoid leaving permanent visible holes in the skin.

14. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

George where can I get that #30 paste from eurogrip? Can I get it on line? Thanks post pictures of your fox when you are done and good luck Ameliabeth.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

McKenzie, WASCO, and Research carry it.

16. I doubt a garment tanned hide would even be suitable for a mount. They are stiff when soaked back up with no stretch. Total cluster f.

17. boarhunter67

Yeah, I thought it was for open mouth, but if it's for closed mouth, then a cast lip won't work. Also, as was stated, a garment tanned hide might have other issues. You don't know how long it's been tanned and rehydrating it might make it fall apart, or it might be stiff and unstretchable, etc. If you already have one, you can try it, but if you're going to buy more just to mount, I would suggest getting some that are designed to be mounted.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Epogrip not eurogrip.

19. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

Thanks

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Ditto on the garment tan. The skin is paper thin and the faces are not turned which would not work for taxidermy mounting.