1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antelope horns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by brayden, Mar 25, 2014.

1. brayden

brayden New Member

this will be my first experience with an antelope.. this customer is wanting horns mounted on artificial skull. can you help me with how to get the horns off the skull? also!!! if I do an antelope shoulder mount, do I just cut skull cap like on most? or do you always need to remove horns? DRY, and REPLACE, has to be different then dealing with antlers!!! appreciate all input

2. You will need to simmer in water for about an hour. Some say less time, but take them out from time to time after a half hour and try to pull them off. You will have to pull hard, but at some point they will pop off. Then clean out all the cartilage from the inside of the horn caps and the skull cap. I usually apply borax to the inside,, then shake it out and allow them to dry completely. To re attach,, use plaster of paris. This same procedure applies to putting them on a form to do a shoulder mount. I know there are different ways to do this, but this is the way I do it... Michael P. has a great tutorial on this.. Do a search and it should help you out!

3. Here you go !

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,50364.0.html

4. brayden

brayden New Member

thanks a bunch, we`ll give it a try!!! appreciate it,,,

5. Braydon, Your also going to want to keep the to1/3 of the eye socket when you cut the skull cap off, thiswill remain when you fit it to your form for shoulder mounting.

6. brayden

brayden New Member

got it

7. brayden

brayden New Member

worked awesome!!!!! thanks. hope you all have an amazing day!