1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Federal Highway road kill.....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Thefishen1, Mar 25, 2014.

1. I've read a hundred post on here about "roadkill", May be someone from Miss. can help me. I go deer hunting in Miss. in Dec. I have a friend that lives near Ackerman and lives right off Natchez Trace. One morning after hunting we were going into town and on the Trace Way and there was a HUGE 6pt..hit by a car, I convinced my friend to stop and the rack and cape were in good shape the skin still moved around on the muscle, it was about thirty deg. My friend wouldn't help me load it up he said it was against the law because it was on the Natchez Trace, I'm a big boy but that deer weighed well over 250lb and one of his hind legs were missing (there was grill everywhere) so I left it, an hour and half later we came home and it was GONE I was pissed......So is it illegal to pick up a deer on the Natchez Trace or maybe on the Blue Ridge Trail....

2. Taiga72

Taiga72 Member

Hey there, I'm not from that area but I know here in CO we have to have a special permit in order to pick up roadkill deer. I'd call a local wildlife ranger or talk to your local department for what to do. Roadkill is a tough thing to find laws on, but big game is usually pretty well regulated and your local officials should know how to help.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I know it's a hassle to call the game warden and wait and wait and wait some more BUT in the long run it protects you with that permit they write out. THAT way nobody down the road can say or disprove your story of where it came from.In Ohio they come out and write a ''tag'' on the spot,you take it home. EVEN for road killed fawns which are a shame to let rot.

4. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

Just recently here in Florida i came across a large beautiful wood stork dead on the side of the road and really wanted it to mount. It was getting hot so i put it in a cooler and called the wardens office. They said being late friday they would not be open till monday,thats screwed up at the least but they said to put it back NOW and call monday. of course it would go bad so i left it there and quite thinking abought it,took awile. Anyway i said i know you are suppose to call in situations like that and they said only with protected species. I asked then abought deer and he said its not protected so it can be picked up. Thts here in Florida,im still not sure i believe that because it seems with my past experience with law enforcement agiencies that they can have different views of the law. But i will be picking up the next deer i come across.

5. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Varies by states like in PA you have to call and they will issue you a permit they say they will come and cut off racks if its a buck but ive heard alot of stories where they dont really care about the racks especially if they are small.Also for turkey and bear you call in.But furbearers you just have to have a furbearers license and in season.Now I dont think you should really get in trouble for picking up a dead coon in march.

6. This is the reply I got from a warden friend of mine,

" Never pick up anything if on Natchez Trace. If they catch you it is expensive."

7. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

That doesnt sound too friendly for picking a dead animal off the road.

8. That's what I heard.. another friend in our group got bust for stealing a hornets nest from "The Trace" quite a few years ago...

9. Leroy22, I too live in Fl., one night several years ago in May I was coming home and the lady in front of me hit a deer(I seen it) and she keep going well I stopped... and threw it in the back of the truck took it home and clean it and got 40+lb of hamburger, I hate to see good meat go to waste...