1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold of the week in pictures

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Glen Conley, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

All the other topics have some kind of pictures of the week. I'll start this thread, and then you guys take over. Don't count on me getting a mold done per week, ain't gonna happen.

The first picture is of my original sculpture. The second is of the mold that I just finished.

The mold is hand lay-up made out of vinyl ester and fiberglass. The way I'm going at it is a slow process, and I'm working on ways to cut down on labor time and still produce a production pressure mold without sacrificing long term durability.

Addition
    It was a week ago Sunday when I started this thread. The mold pictured was sent to Terry Lipscomb on Monday, he received it on Wednesday, right before lunch, and immediately filled it. I called him on Thursday morning to get his feed-back on the mold and form. He told me that he really didn't get a chance to go over the first form that well, he said some guy called and wanted it before he even got it out of the mold, so he shipped it right out.

That some guy would have to have been some one that saw this thread, so thanks to you if you read this. If you are reading this, I would really appreciate some photos of your finished mount.

Added is a photo of a form made the next day..........

2. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Very awesome Glen, I am impressed. Someday, I would like to try the same project. Maybe when I retire from my full time job.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Glen.....Im unfamiliar with vinyl ester, can you give more details?

Thanks Bill

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Bill, I saw Glen collecting plastic milk jugs at the dump,

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

AH-HA!

6. Glen Conley

Ken, I usually let compliments go in one ear and out the other, but considering the talent of the source, I'll keep that one. Thank you.

Bill, I've only made five molds with the vinyl ester so far. The best I can tell you right now is that it is some weird stuff to work with. As far as I know, the biggest consumer is the marine industry.

I'm using the tooling and mold grade. I've got right at fifty bucks per gallon in it with shipping. Coverage amounts are about the same as polyester.

It is very chemical and heat resistant once it is cured, and a pretty durable material. I can soak a piece of light cloth with it, let it cure, and at a .010 thickness (10 mil) it is absolutely unbelievably strong.

It is very ambient temperature and humidity sensitive.

Charcoal respirator cartridges only last about 6-10 hours per set, at fifteen bucks a pop, that adds up in a hurry.

It's ability to dissolve back into it's self in the early successive applications, such as the print layers, is more than I like. I have to be very careful with it to keep from getting print-through from the first cloth layer.

That's what I'm seeing from the negative side, from the poitive side.......

It can be used with the same tooling gels as polyester if desired, but with urethane foam use, don't need to do that. It does a fantastic job of picking up detail, whether it be deliberate or accidental detail.

If room temperatures could be truly controlled, advantage could be taken of the sensitive nature in the way it responds to temperatures. For example, I currently have a head sculpted that I haven't yet molded. The piece was done with an oil based modeling clay with a real low melting temperature. The exotherms produced in thin applications, such as under 1/16". are low. So with a cool work room, I may not have any distortions. If I can pull this one off, I should be able to cut my sculpting time down big time. I can work that particular clay in a fraction of the time that it takes me with other modeling materials. That's my why fors and how's comes? I'll know in the next few weeks if I'm just day dreaming about cutting down on total hours to produce a finished piece.

Mr. Super T, the milk jugs are for another use. Those dents that are put into the sides to make the container contain an actual measure make the dandiest little solvent resistant mixing containers for small amounts of materials.

7. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Any chance of seeing the shoulder end of the mold Glen?

8. Glen Conley

Samantha, for you? Of course!

I hope these are what you are wanting to see. This mold gets shipped out tomorrow. The back flange has not been trimmed. There will be a piece of steel cut to make the fit to the back flange.

First photo, end of mold looking in.

Second, self explanatory.

9. tracy

tracy coon dogs

love the milk jug trick THANKS
    for the tip

10. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

All your molds are much prettier than mine!

11. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Thanks Glenn. :)

dale65 likes this.
  12. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Glenn!! I love it ! Great idea. Nice mold.

Here is a brown I molded up a couple of weeks ago. Bondo/ resin mold. Gelcoat/ fiberglass cast. What your looking at is a temporary mold, I will be making a permanent production mold from the cast ( after it's chased)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone has to keep this thread going every week !

13. Glen Conley

Don't go thinking that I'm whipping out molds left and right. The only reason I'm posting this one is because I was working on it at the same time as the first one I had pictured, and just finished it up.

The first photo here is the original sculpture in process for the finished mold photo you will see afterwards.

That yellow stuff you see......everyone "assumes" it is foam. Wrong assumption. It's Durham's Water Putty. The balance of the material was Apoxie-Sculpt (the dark gray you see), and the clay is Klean Klay.

The first sculpture that I posted was Durham's, with body filler over that, with just a bit of Klean Klay for the hard to detail areas. For me, doing the larger surface areas with a hard medium is just as fast as working modeling clays, plus I can control the quality of the surface finish much, much more.

Addition of photo. Form from mold.

14. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Very nice Aaron. ;) Glen now that is how I would have to do deer---make my own forms.----OUTSTANDING!!! It is a lot of work but the feeling of accomplishment is well worth it.

15. A- Fish

Thanks Gary. Now, if I could make molds as nice as you, I would be making progress!

16. Aaron what type of gel coat are you using on your castings? it looks very nice.
    I am about to do my first few Bondo molds
    Ill keep people posted.

17. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

here are two casts---sorry didn't get a pick of the molds but they look much like Aaron's. A 21'' smallmouth and a 39'' pike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Glen Conley

Gary, only one word needed.

WOW!!!

19. A- Fish

Jknuth- Thanks ! I used WASCO white Gel Coat ( polyester based). I have used other brands, but so far it's been the best I've tried. Would love to see pics of your casts( and molds) when completed.

Gary - both those fish are great, I really like that pike- awesome!

20. Aaron, I like your Brown trout ! Will make a great production mold for you.

Gary, The Smallmouth and Pike are Excellent. Great detail and flow !

Last year I molded a Rainbow I caught from a local reservoir.