1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold of the week in pictures

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Glen Conley, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Here is the finished cast from the mold shown above.... 8)

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Nice mold Don ! I have been admiring your work for some time.

3. here is my first "Fiberglass" mold and casting.
    Ive used silicone and plaster to this point with little issue but i wanted to try somthing easier to handle that set fast and got great detail without distortion. It woked very well.
    its a mold of a small Coney (small species of grouper)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all of your help.
    And yes we NEED to keep this thread alive!!

4. AndyB

AndyB New Member

You guys are just to good very nice deer Glenn, nice fish guys very nicely done i wish i had half the talent that you guys had

5. JTM

JTM Finger Lakes Landlocked Salmon

Great idea for a post.

I dont churn out molds either but will share my first start to finish reproduction fish.

I'd like to see that pike when it's finished Gary! Looks great so far!

6. here is the finished coney! well minus the coral base.
    [​IMG]

7. JTM

Im tired of posting small pictures of my work. So this is an attempt to increase image size bt decrease file size. Hope it works.

Great looking coney JKnuth! Ive never seen one but bet thats what they look like. Great work!

8. JTM

It worked!!!

9. jonyboy

jonyboy Thats where the neighbors dog went.

I bet you save money in the long run by molding you own but it is also the time factor

10. personally for me. It took less time and cost me less in materials to make a custom mold and finished cast of the coney then it would for me to skin mount a bass the same size.

11. I finished a 14 1/2" Yellow Perch reproduction today, so I thought I would post some pics of the mold, cast and finished fish ... 8)

12. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That's awesome.super paint job.

13. Jim,
    Thanks for your comments !
    I actually painted that fish twice. I wasn't pleased with the finish the 1st time I painted it....so I steel wooled it out and re-did it. ( I use water base acrylic paints and some Pearl-Ex powders ).

14. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

JKnuth---You are exactly correct. It takes less time and therefore is cheaper to mold and cast fish rather than skin mount them. It gives the customer a better product and increases your wallet at the same time. I hope more people realize this.

15. nate

nate Active Member

Gary, are you going to have that pike available for sale on line of products? that thing is awsome!!

16. Beavis

Beavis Member

Hi, I'm new here, and didn't see the need to start a new thread. I think I've read all ten pages here regarding mold making and casting, (and I ordered the Fall 06 back issue of Breakthrough). I see in Aaron's mold and casting, how I think the mouth area would be handled, however GBRUCH's castings are much more comprehensive, teeth and everything. I'm guessing, the excess material is removed with a dremel or some such tool, and the mouth and/or whole head is cast seperately? I can see how perfectly this would work for a closed mouth casting, I'm having trouble visualizing how one would do an open mouth mold. Perhaps the magazine article will help. Thanks in advance.
    Donny
    btw: the work displayed here is truly amazing.

17. AndyB

AndyB New Member

ok so i am new to the molding process i have tried a couple of different things like plaster, but i see some of you useing this brownish tan stuff that looks like peanut butter, what is it?

18. AndyB,
    I think you are referring to the Reo-flex 40 dry (flexible urethane from Smooth-on). That is what I have used to create some of my molds to date. Below is shown a 21" Brown trout that I molded, Cast and finished.

19. Ed

Ed Member

Hey Dondi, your work is truely inspiring. What do you do to keep your fish so plump with no dips while molding?Do you fill or inject anything before freezing?

20. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Really an awesome work!! Is that molding material you use expensive? It really makes the job!