1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mold of the week in pictures

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Glen Conley, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Nobody pours them selves into their work like Glen does.

Attached Files:

2. jermh1

jermh1 Member

back to the top

3. Glen

Is there a particular density of foam you use when you pour your manikins? I am tring to find a foam that has a solid finish but is not as hard as a rock if I alter the form for whatever pose I am looking for. Thanks

4. Glen has been very sick and I don't think you will see him around any more.
    I will take a stab at your question.
    You can use 5 lbs foam from Smooth-On called FoamIt 5. It provides good body but not so hard you can't carve it. Or, you can go up to 10lbs foam, FoamIt 10, for a very strong and hard foam.
    I think the manikin manufactures use 5lbs foam.

5. Thanks Doug. I have allot of different sculptures in the works right now but the whole casting and pouring is a little new to me. I have done a little but with the things I have going on and the time spent I want to be sure I do everything I can to produce a good product.

6. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Dang, Nephew, you're as bad as some of these doctors. I'm on my way back from the dead once again. I still don't have full use of my right leg, but daily physical therapy is helping that along. I broke down and fired the lap top back up, that's putting me back into contact with the real world.

Now to the question. It seems like the most important factor is the individual making the pours. Three pound foam is a common weight for mannikins. In the right hands, two pound foam can be used, and the finished product can not be distinguished from a higher density.

Terry Lipscomb down at Quality Taxidermy Supply is the best foam guy that I know. Give him a call and tell him that I was the one to have you call. You can probably pick up a tip or two from him.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Glad to see you back from the dark side Glen, you have been missed.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Yo Glen.......SO GLAD to see you on here. Have called to check on you a few times, but the reports weren't too promising. Sure hope you are feeling better. Wife said we needed to come see you for Christmas. Just that I dfon't trust my old truck to make it that far, so here's a Christmas hug and wish for you. Hope you have a Merry and festive Holiday Season. We miss you. Hang tough Uncle Glen.

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Glad to see you are doing better! hang in there..

10. Sorry Unc. I put that on there, then the next day I hear your on your way back. Thank God! I just didn't know any better.

11. Bump

12. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

marking

13. glassmonkey

glassmonkey New Member

Guys, I have found this site as of late. my quest was to find old fish mounts and decorate the castleBgroovey with my life long passion (fishing). Well I also build boats as well as being a USCG capt. so here I am trying to learn the best way to build replicas of some of my catches I never see myself doing this as a trade but how knows.
    Nuber one question is it best for me to make casting of the body and head in two pcs? I have used products fron smooth on so I get a little of that, anyway please jump in and help me out ! Thanks Bo

14. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Glass monkey. Welcome to the site. Go up to the tutorials and you will find some answers. Also search the archives . You will find lots of info

15. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

This is the first time I have been on this thread and now I may have to try this and or take a class on casting a fish. Definitely not a deer head though. But I was wondering what it would be like if all the competitors that entered into any masters division had to sculpt and or cast their own forms instead of using others work and just putting on the score sheet "Altered Form". There are those that could do this but what if it was a requirement..... Just a thought.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Our masters of masters division, (Michigan) game head forms are hand made if I remember correctly. I am far from that division.

17. Masters of Masters At The MTA requires everything made by competitor with the exception of the eyes.

18. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

btt

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Were you the guy who was on here not long ago recommending a tannery and saying you knew you shouldn't be doing it because it might make the turnaround time longer for you but... and it was a tannery that took green hides?

20. edgar

edgar Member

For all of you guys that make your own forms . How much foam is needed to pour for a deer mannikin?