1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bad taxidermist or bad ticks???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by cgd, Mar 28, 2014.

1. margip

margip Member

You say in your post that you have pics of the deer within hours and several days after harvest. Just how long after you harvested the deer was it before it was in to the taxidermist to be caped off and taken care of? Herein could lie the answer to your problem.

2. I am mounting one today that has a cape that looks just like yours. It is tanned - not DP. Didn't know you guys had x-ray vision and can tell a dp mount and rotten hide. The buck I am doing has a 25 inch outside spread with what I think are rub marks on the shoulders from the the outside of the beams when he was grooming himself. It also has the standard tick rubs at the top of the brisket. If your deer was over stretched I would expect to see the arm pit skin up over the sides of the shoulder but it looks to be in the right spot.

I assume you have plenty of field pics of this deer with your son. Do the shoulder rubs show up on those?

Go ahead - let me have it!!

Bruce

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

What George said

4. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

If the cape you are mounting looks ANYTHING like the one pictured, I hope you confired with the customer first; maybe even get a signature stating the customer knows his cape is crap. Or your work may be posted here next by a disgruntled customer

5. Randy - he knows exactly what the issues are with the cape. He wants the deer he shot.

Bruce

6. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Looks like deer was drug a mile. I get a lot of deer in from upper state that has been drug because no motorized vehicles are allowed. They all look like this. I always suggest replacing hide before hand must just euro mount them instead or ask me to fix the best it can be. Some can be fixed some simply can't.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Truth

Truth New Member

I agree with the dragging. If you drug it out with an atv there is your answer. The hair on the down side shoulder always gets ripped out.