1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lynx and Bobcat skull size

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by blindluck, Mar 29, 2014.

1. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

I just bought a few Raw Lynx and bobcat skulls for the first time, the Lynx dont seem to be any larger than the bobcat, I'm wondering if these are just small lynx skulls. Does anyone have any pictures side by side or measurements. Thanks

2. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,346547.msg2357262.html#msg2357262
    This might help

3. Lynx and Bobcat are pretty much the same size, Lynx just have a massive amount of fur and therefore appear huge. In fact, large bobcats are heavier than the average Lynx.

If you want to know what kind of skull you have, set the skull on a flat surface (just the top, not the bottom jaw, with the incisors in). A Bobcat skull will rest on the auditory bullae, and a Lynx skull will rest on the occipital condyles. I have come across a few scientific papers on the subject of lynx vs bobcat skull; it's a somewhat debatable topic because they are almost identical.

4. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

thanks for the great info, I figured by paying twice as much for lynx they would be larger but they must be harder to come by.

5. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

According to Hall and Kelson's "The Mammals of North America", the greatest length of skull for lynx= 120-136; for bobcat male= 114.5-149.5, zygomatic breadth for lynx= 82-93; for bobcat male= 82.2-107.1. So you can see a bobcat skull can be larger than a lynx so you can't distinguish between the species based upon size.
    Kendall