1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey taxidermists.... Bow or gun?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I'm looking to harvest a turkey for my showroom in a few weeks. I'm dying to get one with the bow but never seen the damage involved.... Would you reccomend (for a show piece) to use a shotgun instead? Of course trying to place most pellets in the head not the chest..

I mean I can always go for a head shot with the bow... But I have not practiced much for those trick shots recently.... 10 years ago no problem lol

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

You seen them turkey broadheads? If you think a rage will punch a hole in a deer? Think of that going through a turkey. Shotgun and don't shoot him till he not strutting in my opinion. Good luck.

3. I shoot mine with bow and use a regular rage. Yes, some damage, but it's all there. I've had more damage to some that I shot with gun. I body shoot them in vitals. I've mounted a couple shot with bow. I put more holes in it skinning and fleshing than the hole from broad head! The head is perfect if you shoot with bow and want to use real head which I do. I send mine to Boondocks, they also have awesome forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JerseyJays

I just mounted on my first boondocks.... Still preening but I'm thrilled so far!

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Gun.

6. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

gun for sure with a bow they flop around til they die. Lot of feathers fall out. That not including the actually arrow damage.I shot my last one extra full choke very close not one pellet hit the body. After the shot I stood on the head to keep the flopping around to a minimum .

7. JerseyJays

It will be hard... I'm close to houses... I have 1 or 2 spots gun will be legal but I can't run and gun cause there are a lot of houses keeping me barely legal. With the bow I'm allowed 50 yds from a house... Gun safety zone is 150yds

8. I have body shot quite a few with a thunderhead. They just ran off and laid down and died. Hardly any feather damage at all and no flopping. Of course if you can hit them on the head with the broadhead that is best. With a gun, if I want to mount it, Aim a little high to keep the pellets in the head. Once on the ground I never step on the head. That just makes them start flopping. I lay down on top of them to so they don't flop and lose feathers.

Bruce

9. JerseyJays

Lol if love to see that on my journey through the woods one day!

Wtf is that guy doing to that half dead turkey!!?!

10. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Seems to me that trying to hold down a flopping turkey pulls more feathers out than just letting him flop.

11. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Head shot gun.

12. krollh

krollh Active Member

A .22LR hole aint hard to fix.
    oops, did I say that?

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you did,it's what I was thinking anyway.

14. I sit down next to the bird and lean over and press the bird to the ground with my chest. Try it sometime. You won't lose a feather. If you step on their head they go nuts and flop like crazy. They can break their wings and lose lots of feathers. Just don't do what my son's friend did. He shot one with his bow and it was flopping around and he thought it was going to get away. He dove on it and the arrow was still in the bird. Well now the arrow was in his stomach with a mile walk back to the truck. He almost made it back to the truck and collapsed. Luckily the farmer saw him go down. He was airlifted to the hospital and survived - luckily.

15. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

EVERY hunter that brings me a turkey to mount says---- it's not missing a feather. If not that, it's---I didn't knock a single feather out of it. My response is---that may be true, but how many feathers was it missing BEFORE you shot it. Out of 50 turkeys, I get ONE that is competition quality. Yo can be as careful as you want, and it can still be a turd.

16. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

X2

Also, I sure wouldn't want to be laying on any turkey with those spurs that can rake you.
    You guys are a lot bolder than I am.

To consider, a later fall/early winter hunt may get you a nicer feathered bird.
    I have shot some in early December that were really nice.

17. JerseyJays

Our fall season is only 1 week in early fall

18. The ones I've shot with bow usually run about 20 yards and just keel over dead. No flopping, I believe it's the head shot that causes the flopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

I would shoot with a small fixed blade broadheads thru the vitals for bow . Gun I would get a great tight shooting choke and use a low number shot like a 4 shot that has bigger pellets and not as many shot in it. I do kinda same as Bruce but I don't lay on the turkey lol I put my knee on his wing and pin him to the ground. I wouldn't even try it with bow unless u know u got a clean pass thru.

20. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

watch this no damage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9LANrlDjs&feature=player_detailpage