1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I guess the form is too big...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John L, Apr 1, 2014.

1. John L

John L Active Member

Can't pull down further and brisket doesn't seem right. I know cape isn't short The cape swallowed a HD 7019 Mckenzie. This is a 6500 and the b measurement is just one inch bigger. Any ideas???

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. John L

John L Active Member

Attached Files:

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Not sure what exactly your asking for John, looks to me the form might be close to the right size. Just looks like everything needs to be pulled down a little farther. That should put the brisket where it needs to be and take some of the slack behind the head.

4. John L

John L Active Member

Well I have pulled and pulled and even though it seems loose enough to pull down, it wont. I have never seen a deer with a brisket pulled up that high. The meat measurement is 7x17x19.5 The cape is 9.75 behind the ears so coinsides with the meat. The form is a 19" b measurement so it should fit but I think it is 19"too high up the neck.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sure looks like it fits. Don't hang on the brisket. I've had a brisket center line go half way up a neck. You put glue under that skiN and I'd bet it will fit like a glove.

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

the hair lines look like they are exactly where they need to be :-\ Whats the problem you don't have enough in the chest to it around the back?

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

If you are having problems in the shoulder area just take a sawzall to the shoulders and narow em up a little bit. Those 6500 shoulders are way to wide anyways and that should give you enough slack to get that chest pulled down a touch more and get enough around the back to staple.

8. John L

John L Active Member

I think it's what George said I am really hung up on that brisket being too far up and the Inside white leg hair going too far up. I went through several game head of the week threads and many of them had similar briskets I may just be tired and frustrated.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I just wasn't sure what you were asking. Like I said the hair pockets look like they are in the right spot. The deer of yours just happens to have white hair pockets, some do some are brown. The hair pattern is in the correct spot. The hair pocket on most deer comes almost out to the shoulder point which is what I'm seeing in your pic.

[​IMG]

10. John L

John L Active Member

I appreciate everyones help I think I will give it a shot I just didn't expect that white hair to come up that far or for the brisket line to come up that high.

11. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Looks like it fits, slap some glue on it and sow that sucker up!

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done two from the same guy, from the same area that had the white arm pit hair and the "cowlicks" that went at least twice as far as the one you have there. The first one had me scratching my head a little until I just pretended that it was a normal brisket area and then all went well. I agree with the others, it looks fine.

13. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

X2 I have done many with briskets like that I think they look neat! The hair will fall in place with a little work

14. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    Looks like a good fit to me. You have a hide with pretty brisket markings and white hair. it will all fall into place and look great. 8)

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Soak it up, stretch the hell out of it and mount it. It's pretty close. I also shave the shoulders again to get more stretch when that happens, and the thick back skin. In extreme cases I will rasp the shoulders some and where the neck meets the shoulders.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Are the shoulders tight on it John? If the shoulders are too big, that will take the brisket up a bit at times. I am assuming you have put your arms up through the armpits/form and stretched the cape out alittle in that area.

17. livbucks

I'm gonna throw out the possibility that the deer had a shorter neck than the sculptor put on the form, or it just had smaller than usual shoulders. A seldom thought about factor.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm lost here. Why are you guys back on the "doesn't fit" line? Look at the pictures? Forget about the hair color. That hide is a perfect fit for that form. The color anomoly should be ignored.

19. livbucks

I don't know, LOL.

20. John L

John L Active Member

I have it mounted and drying. It fit fine I did rasp a little of the bulk in the neck to keep a shaving hole I had sewn from being pulled to where it was showing but everything else was good. It pulled down after I got the hide paste on it. I will post a pic when it's finished.