1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote.. Good forms bad forms?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jasons Taxidermy, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

What are some excellent forms and which to stay away from for life size coyotes? Head/shoulders too while were at it. Ive heard good things about Ozark Woods. I have 5 coyotes to do.

2. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Are the Dan Rinehart forms any good? Whats the foam like? They seem priced too cheap to be any good but some look just like McKenzie forms h/s?
    VanDykes? Joe Coombs?

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use a lot of Roger Martin's forms as well as some from Research. Most will need alittle tweek here and there, but they are nice forms to work with.

4. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Matt I've seen your work on here and its awesome and you give my work something to strive to become. I appreciate you taking the time. With that said I cannot find any Roger Martin coyote forms from the suppliers that I know of, just bears and eyeballs. I will look at the forms from Research, thank you.
    I have no problem tweaking and modifying forms just so long as they aren't crap to begin with. I read on here some well know people knock certain forms because of poor anatomy or poor symmetry. I am not trying to knock anyones forms I just would like to know which are the really good ones and which ones to steer clear of.

5. bamaslamma

bamaslamma New Member

definatly steer clear of the McKenzie howling form, horrible job on that form, fought a yote for 3 days!

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'll disagree with Matt, I think Roger Martin forms are some of the worst. The best looking coyote heads are from Darrin Flynn and Ozark Woods. Research has some very nice lifesize coyotes.

7. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,343784.msg2338487.html#msg2338487

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Haha Katie, looks like I haven't changed my mind. I don't even remember that thread.

9. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Thanks everyone! :)

10. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

I'll second Flynn and Ozark Woods. Great coyote heads.

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well, everybody's entitle to an opinion Cole. While I have altered his heads a bit, the bodies on most everything I have used from him have fit up pretty well, and that's out of hundreds of forms over the years.

12. I'll second Coles and derricks on ozarks , never used a flynns,Roger martins are terrible as most of his small stuff is!

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

No doubt, and the work you do you are obviously getting them to work for you. I have to spend way too much time altering to get them to resemble my death masks.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have never used Darrel's either or Ozarks. Might have to check them out on my next one and see how they work out.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Compare them to your measurements and 3d reference and I think you will be impressed.

16. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

I also agree with the Flynn forms. Flynn shoulder mount forms are great for larger coyotes with an E/N measurement from 4 - 4 1/2 inches or so. You may have to slightly lengthen or shorten the snout.

17. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Stay away from anything Roger Martin has his name on they are by far the worst mannikins ever created in the industry, just blows my mind how they still sell them, his Brown Bear forms look like somebody dropped a 500lb rock on the head and smashed it flat. Also some of the coyote forms from Joe Coombs are nice, might be Vic Henicker but ya gotta be careful because some are bad.