1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique on White-tailed Deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Meagan, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Meagan

Meagan New Member

I had worked for about two months with a semi-local taxidermist. I had posted pictures of my mule deer, which he had stuffed the tear ducts full of paper towels. I had a friend who had shot a nice buck and was wanting it mounted, so she allowed me to practice on it. I went along with Rick Carter's DVD (which is amazing) and learned so much more than with the taxidermist I had worked under. I know that there is a ton of room for improvement, just wanting to get some critiques on what I can do differently. This is my first deer done all alone, through the entire process. Some things that I think I need to change:
    -eyes are too full
    -brisket area a little off
    -antler set (I measured these from the skull but they still seem a bit off)
    -ear butts (first time making them, at the taxidermist I worked under he did not build up ear butts)
    -lip area
    -nose

He is still drying, I finished him at 1am. Been grooming and working on him slowly if I see things wrong. So there is still time for some change. I have him carded for the time being and the clay on the eyes still shows (thus the white). Thanks for any input and be honest, all I can do is learn and build on what I need to do differently.

Thanks,
    Meagan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left Ear:
    [​IMG]

Right Ear:
    [​IMG]

Right Eye:
    [​IMG]

Left Eye:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Right off the bat....when looking at a deer straight on, you should not see skin behind the eyes. I'll let someone else add to this.

3. Meagan

Meagan New Member

Ron, thanks so much for the info. I went back just now and corrected it. Not sure on how much I need to make not shown, so I did the back corner on each eye.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Adjust the white patch ,the antlers do look to close to the eye , to much clay around the eyes and uneven one eye looks to have more . tuck the mouth more , try to keep your deer level when working on it and taking pictures of it. good job ; Most of all have fun . :D Also clean your eyes of the clay or glue around the edge ; if thats eye tuck skin retuck.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

A lot going on here, to much clay in the eyes, eye shape,ear butt shape, nose pad out of alignment. Hair patterns off because of many of the other issue's. Megan slow down pick something to focus on, like work on your eyes using reference. Then work on the ears, then the ear butts etc. use some reference. Doing a mount and then coming here for a critique will not get you where you want to get. Find someone that knows what they are doing and do a workshop. Join your State Association, meet people, find out who will work with you. Like Verne said enjoy and have some fun.

6. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

Im new at it to only been doing it a little over a year, what these guys say is true work one area at a time and look at pictures. Go to a local show, and look, take pictures, and go to some seminors. Alot of shows have the classes and they are very cheap for all you can learn. When at the shows ask alot of questions. I do and know one has turned me away, in fact they enjoy sharing what they know with you. Its been my experience anyway with my state shows. Join your local organization too, members will be glad to help you and have fun meet new people and make new friends. Good luck too you.

7. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Go on the deer and game head section and click on reference. Go through there and find some whitetail pictures, print them out and then hold them up next to you rmount and look at it in sections.
    Compare the hair patterns on the nose and you will see that from the front the left side of the nose pad is lower than the right side. The right side is in about the right spot.

Look at the eyes, both have way too much clay and appear very swollen. Study the pics and then try to make your mount look just like what you see. The lip is also not tucked correctly, again study reference. I have been doing this for 15 years, I just got back from the Ohio show and I talked to as many experienced taxidermists as I could, and I learned some things. I drove 3 hours yesterday to sit and talk about whitetail anatomy with an expert and I studied reference pictures for an hour after I got home. You can never know too much.

the absolute best thing you can do is join your state assoc and go to the show. Follow the deer judge around as he critiques the other mounts and you will learn more than you can imagine. enter your own deer and get your own critique. takes a note pad and write down everything he says.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Good critiques and advice, especially about reference. I do have to say this deer is 100% better than the last one you posted pictures of. Keep it up.

9. Meagan

Meagan New Member

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all of the critiques! I am planning on attending our state show, I want to improve the best way that I can. The last picture I had posted from my previous mount was the one that the taxidermist I had been learning under did. So you can see what I had to work with. The taxidermist here in my city does not want to teach anyone, and I don't blame him, he is the only person in this city who has a shop and he does not want to lose business...even though I am only looking at doing this for myself and friends and family. I hope to get started on another one soon...so I want to improve and see what you all have to say on that one as well.