1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for the sheep guys--Jacob's Four Horn

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Randy Miller, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

What's your favorite mannikin? ;)

To alter for these critters, of course, LOL ;D

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I did one I used a Corsican/Mouflon form.

3. Randy Miller

Yea, they're really small as sheep go.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

x2 I only ever mounted one but I remember using a Mouflon form.

5. Randy Miller

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would weigh in. Your opinion is greatly valued.

6. I'm no sheep expert but this one was on a mouflon form by McKenzie.

Attached Files:

7. Randy Miller

Cool B, thanx!

8. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Mckenzie Corsican

Attached Files:

9. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Here is one I did with a McKenzie Corsican form and used George Roof's method for cleaning the wool Also get yourself a brush from the pet store for long haired dogs.

[​IMG]

10. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

I usually use the corscican/mouflon form out of mckenzies as others stated. The last one I just finished was a monster and I used researches Rambouillet form.

11. Keep the whole skull and Start with whichever sheep form has the best match for measurements. Lots of internet reference for Eye Shape and Ear Placement. When you skin them note that there is typically a 1/2" thick pad of flesh on top of the nose that gives it a real roman look. Especially with an older ram. Remember to rebuild this. Also When I cut them I cut a straight line between each horn at the narrowest point and one single straight cut up the the back of one of the top two horns.. then just pin/brad the hide between the horns and sew up a single seam in the back. It can also help to attach the horns AFTER mounting as they almost always get in the way when you sew, do clay and ear work.

12. Randy Miller

Boxie, thanks for the response and as always, hot work! Thanks for the pics and info.
    Shelby, thanks for wading in, I always value your expertise. Skull is gone but I took copious measurements and pics. Like your skinning perspective as well. Thanx.

13. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Thanks, Randy and you are welcome!

14. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Corsican x2

15. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Four horns are my favorite kind of sheep in the world! I raised many of them growing up.

Here's one I did lifesize on a mouflon form

[​IMG]

And one I bow hunted last year that I just put on an old deer form. I did alter it a little, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Randy Miller

Daniel,nice! I just cleaned the hair as Boxie suggested, using George's technique-I could literally see the hair relax! I will post when done.

17. I use mouflon forms, Never tried george's method but i run them right through the washing machine with laundry detergent then they get brushed for hours
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Used to raise them. Interesting animals. Got in to more trouble than most goats!

19. Randy Miller

Sorry, forgot I posted this! This went out months ago. Got a pic of the neck alteration but neglected to get pics of the muzzle/eye transition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Randy Miller

try George's method-you won't be brushing for hours ;)