1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do people find your studio? These numbers might help

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mark, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Hi All,

I just came off another great Ohio show, and much of the "shop talk" went to business advertising. When I have a new customer in the studio, or on the phone, I ask them how they found us and keep track of their responses. I just ran the numbers from my various means of advertising, trying to see if the expensive space I rent on the Interstate is paying off.

TOTAL NEW REFERENCES - 274

INTERNET (my website, search engines)- 101 referrals / 37% of total

CUSTOMER OR FRIEND REFERRAL - 82 / 30%

PHONE BOOK - 31 / 11%

2 SIGNS AT EACH END OF OUR ROAD - 26 / 9%

MAGAZINE ADS (WHOLESALE) 25 / 9%

INTERSTATE SIGN - 5 / 2%

PICKED UP A BUSINESS CARD SOMEWHERE - 4 / 1%

So here are the conclusions...

1 - INTERNET ADVERTISING - Web searches, website COMBINED is 37% of total NEW REFERENCES.
    2 - WORD OF MOUTH - Customer/friend referral COMBINED is 30% of total NEW REFERENCES.
    3- TRADITIONAL ADVERTISING - Phonebook, signs, cards COMBINED IS 21% of total NEW REEFERENCES.

Two things to remember when comparing my numbers to yours....My business has both retail and wholesale customers, both local and nationwide. I left out the magazine ads above as they are for wholesale only and will not apply to most businesses. Wholesale is only about 20% of my business.

MY CONCLUSION - More than 1 of 3 new customers finds me by an internet search, or connects from my website, surpassing even the time-honored word of mouth. Traditional advertising, effective before the internet, has dropped to only 1 of 5 customers. My greatest expense in my advertising budget (interstate sign and yellow pages ads) are producing only 20 percent of my new business. My website costs me peanuts compared to what it brings in, and word of mouth is free.

So I will take good care of my website and current customers, and that interstate sign is coming down. My 1 inch yellow page box ads are going down to one liners.

Numbers wont be the same for everyone I am sure but its fun to kick it around.....

Mark Maier

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Without a doubt, most of my business comes from the internet. I do more work for out of state people that find me online than I do local customers. I haven't had business cards in years and I never even bothered with phone book advertisements. Most people today are internet oriented or are on mobile devices. If your web host or website building software has an option to convert your site to a mobile one for phone users, USE IT. Most guys looking for a taxidermist while in the field will be using an iphone, and unless a site is synched to look good on a mobile device, it can be hard to navigate.

3. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    Excellent info! Thanks for sharing.

Chip

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For me, word of mouth ( friends, family, repeat customers and the local sporting goods store), closely followed by my ad in the outdoors section of my local newspaper. With just that I have more business than I want.

5. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Great info! I have been debating where to concentrate my efforts so I will be narrow my advertisement to the most productive. I will add that I am primarily a fish guy and have had good success from a local bait shop with the help and friendship of the owner.