1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Apprentice?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by taxinewbie, Apr 9, 2014.

1. taxinewbie

taxinewbie New Member

Hello there Taxis. I'm a 16 year old from Texas. I have already graduated Highschool through a homeschooling program. (Yes my diploma will get me into college.) This week I was offered a taxidermy apprenticeship at a local shop. I would be starting at $10/hr. However the man that I would apprentice under said that he would need my word on not leaving him for 3-4 years. He said I would have an opportunity to increase my pay and my position in the company with time. (They have 3 locations in Texas.)
    After browsing through the forums I saw all the posts on how you should only "Part Time" or do this after retiring. I'm kinda reluctant to accept the position based on all the grumpy old guys on here. I'm looking for an answer to this. Should I accept the apprenticeship?
    (I would be doing online college courses while I apprenticed)
    Thanks for any responses in advance.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Don't let us grumpy old guys scare you away from something you are interested in. If I was in your position, I would take it. Get paid to learn this trade, beats paying to learn it. If you are serious about college make that your priority though. If you are serious about both, major in business and learn taxidermy under this apprenticeship. The hardest part about this is building and maintaining the business side of it. I would suggest that you make sure you are quite satisfied with the quality that this studio puts out. We see it often enough, folks that apprentice under so and so and are taught outdated and often times wrong methods, and their work shows it. Good luck.

3. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Sounds like a good deal to me go for it and learn and ask a lot of questions Good Luck!

4. taxinewbie

taxinewbie New Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go for it. I'll update y'all soon!

5. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

No matter what, get a college degree. If you can do taxidermy while getting your degree than that's awesome. no matter what you do, get that degree.

6. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

Im with dave get you degree no matter what, and if taxidermy is something you want to do then go ahead, at least you will be getting paid to learn. I couldnt find someone around me to teach me. All the guys close to me use a lot of the old ways. So I paid to go to school an learn. Just remember to take pride in your work and you will go far. Good luck.

7. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Agree with Dave!

8. Take some business and accounting courses along the way while getting that degree!

9. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Its a great gig when your getting you study's done. I would eat up that opportunity in a heart beat. The only thing that would scare me is the commencement factor, i dont like sighning up for a two year cell phone plan never mind 3-4 years commencement for a job. If he raises the pay tho nothing to worrie about

10. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Your 16 man!! 3-4 year commitment! WTH is he thinking...Go to college kiddo and do taxidermy as a part-time job on the weekends if it is something that interests you. Your focus should be on college and grades at this stage of your life. Look at taxidermy as a part-time job on the weekends while you are in college. Don't guarantee him that long of a committment. You never know you may end up not liking it or him, you might get bogged down with college and get burned out. Don't grow up too fast kiddo, there is plenty of time to work after you get youor education. Best of luck.

11. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

Got to go with twinrivers on this one work on your studies 1st don't commit to 3-4 yrs if he doesn't understand that your school comes 1st then you need to rethink your dealings with him. just my opinion . good luck

12. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

That sounds like potentially a great opportunity to get paid to learn! If you're serious about the art/industry then go for it!! Haha I wish I'd had a good local place to apprentice at when I was your age LOL. 3-4 years doesn't sound that bad to me...you'll be like, 21 afterwards, there's plenty of time for you to finish college after that.

This is an interesting question to me. I finished college 6 years ago, got a "good" job, but have since returned to my earliest ambitions of being a taxidermist. In hind sight, the top taxidermy schools in the US only cost about half of what it costs to go to public college and, student loan wise, that would have been a better choice for me.

Also consider how you're financing your education and what you're going to school for. If you're gifted at math and science, then better to focus on college. If you're more of an artist, in my opinion anyway, the paid apprenticeship would be the better choice. You can also use that knowledge and experience to apply for art school grants and scholarships later on.

13. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Now don't be insulting Low T and George Roof. LOL