1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is it just me.....or

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jason L, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Is it just me,or is getting the ear cartilage out of deer ears a pain in the A#% ? If anyone has a trick to making it easier please help a man out! I generally tan the cape then cut across the cartilage and start pulling it away from the skin but I have been having problems with the skin not wanting to budge and tearing. Any input will be appreciated.

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Some ears can be very tough to remove cartilage, yet others will be very easy. As time goes on, you will get the hang of it and even the tough ones won't be so tough. A scalpel will help, but I found that using a cheek scraper will pop the membrane between the skin and cartilage without cutting the skin, then separate further. Just take your time.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to hold and pull the cartilage, and my fingers, mostly thumb, to push down on the skin to separate the two. If you start to see hair pulling out with the cartilage, stop and start from a different direction, or a hole will ensue.

4. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Ok guys thanks for your input

5. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

The needle nose and the thumb deal always works for me, sometimes you jut have to go a little slow.

6. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    If you have a quality tan it is easy. Of course unless they have ripped up ears from fighting. Then it just takes patience.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Pulls off best when fully hydrated, right after tan. Go slow and pull in tiny lengths, don't try to pull it off like a bandaid, baby steps, peel it off in a controlled slow peel. That way if it starts to rip, you can stop and pull from the other direction. There is no race to do it, so take as much time as you need.

8. AJH

AJH Member

Yes, it always seems easier to use the needle nose to hold the cartilage stable, while you use your fingers to separate the skin from cartilage.

9. Paul, I could not have wrote that answer any better! Needlenose and my thumb, sloooooooow

10. If you use a spray bottle of water and keep spraying as you are pulling it seems to seperate easier.

Jerry K

11. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Thanks Lot guys.

12. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

A pair of needle nose pliers, and the blunt end of a pair of tweezers works for me. Like Paul said, if it starts tearing go from the other side.

13. Patience is the key. Your thumb is one of your best tools. Sometimes I also cuss at them. Not sure if that helps, but it makes me feel better!

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've noticed the same feelings.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do "whole sale" cape prep for a taxidermist buddy and 88% of those tanned capes almost bring me to tears or fits of rage. I loose money on those ears! :mad: About 100% of my home tanned capes the cartilage practically removes it's self. Less than 5 min. on mine, up to 25 min. on his, per ear. Recently I started using a dulled wood chisel to work the skin away from the cartilage around the inner canal as my buddy suggested when I was whining and crying about it, and, though scary, it cut my time down a lot. I can blow through everything else easy making it less than paper thin just to get bogged down at the ears.

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I happen to agree with almost every one of these tips, how about that? 8)

17. nitt

nitt Member

Learned a bunch hydrate pull, peel, pliers, water, tweezers, cuss! Now I'm ready to tackle a few:)

18. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I think ill just bondo. ;D

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Since I started wetting them with Stop Rot in and out after turning, I have not had any problems at all.

20. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Lots of great advice,thanks again. And as for the cussing,I been doing that and have had no luck! But never again will I bondo unless the ear is just tore beyond using a liner.