1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition driftwood

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by fireduck, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fireduck

fireduck Member

Any way to make you driftwood stand out for a competition piece. more fancy piece I guess instead of the wood look of the driftwood

2. What are you asking? Driftwood is not all the same, I see some selling what I call firewood while some other have real driftwood with twisted roots and branches.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

agreed John C ,, if you know what your'e looking for fireduck, go to a local lake river or seaside whatever and scout some out you'll get that one of a kind piece.

4. Yes. Even the flat back stuff can be dressed up real nice. Coat it real good with sanding sealer. Let it dry then stain it with minwax get stain (just what I use but I'm sure plenty different stains would work)
    Here are a few examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Those look great thanks for posting

6. Thank you. I had one that was real white and bleached out and got some stains on it from stuff in the garage. I found a use for it but didn't like the look so I sealed it, didn't like that so I stained it, then I started doing that to all the driftwood I use on habitats and competition pieces. The flat back wall stuff I only do it on if the customer is willing to pay extra.