1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WT cape repair question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mason, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Mason

Mason Active Member

We have a few bruiser bucks next in line, that are pretty beat up. Must have been scrappers. They all have that patch right at their shoulders on top, that gets mangled during the rut. The one we have up now, that patch is about a 5" diameter. Is it possible or does anyone cut a football out across the shoulders here big enough to eliminate this? We have ample cape, to pull forward to sew back up.
    Never cut one out this big. Was wondering if it were possible to do, and still be able to taxi the hide down decent.
    I wouldn't bother because that is what they do during the rut, but this cape was cut through in this area a few places while shaving.

Thanks, Ron and Linda

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Is there enough scrap backskin behind the form that can be moved forward and patched in?

3. Mason

Mason Active Member

There might be Paul,

Is that a better way to go at it? I would just sew and leave the battle scars, but, there is little to no hair and I was afraid of showing stitches.

Thanks

4. nitt

nitt Member

If you have extra cape I would cut out n patch in, not a hard fix at all.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I have sewn softball size holes before, but they do rob skin from the surrounding areas, sometimes making a tight fit on the form. If it is on top and not going to be seen, stitching would be ok for patching, it depends on the job.
    Besides, Linda is doing the sewing right? ;)

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yes Paul, and I just got the DEATH look lol.
    That's the route we went looks good.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have stitched up holes as big baseballs when the hair will cover it and the amount of loose skin will allow it. If not, dropping a wedge works well. In areas with little hair coverage I have just mounted as normal and then apply the patch by gluing it seam to seam with my hide paste. I figure if there is a chance the seam can be seen, at least no stitches would be seen.

8. diggitydave1

diggitydave1 Taxidermy and Golf, both will drive you Crazy!

I had one missing have the brisket, I peiced it together and the customer loved couldnt tell at all I pinned it

9. Boxie

Boxie New Member

If the area is located on a pretty flat area on the form.,,,patch in a piece of extra back hide by matching the size and using used dryer sheet/sheets and super glue gel. Very quick and easy. Best if one marks the spot on the form and dig form out a tad then replace with clay for best transition!