1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by buckcrazy, Apr 12, 2014.

1. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

I'm doin a bobcat skull for myself I've got it in a gallon bucket . Had it in there now for bout 3 weeks and it stinks to high heaven .. Anyway got it out today to check it and the meat still hanging on good. How long does this process usually take ? It's settin outside been 70-75 n the days and around 45-50 at night . Thanks in advance , Mike

2. bpskulls

bpskulls Member

Keep it heated to about 90and it will be done in 7 to 10 days

3. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

Will it hurt just to leave it outside and not heated ?? Just take longer ??

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It will take months ... maybe longer. And it still won't be clean. You need to heat the water to around 80 degrees at least. Go and get a submersible heater for a fishtank and use that to warm the water. Sitting in cold water like that does nothing except to allow the fat in it to convert to a wax that can be some work to remove.

Use the Advanced Search on here and read up on Maceration.

5. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

Hey thanks for the info !!

6. blindluck

blindluck Member

Im macerating some Lynx and a couple bobcats right now, I put two Lynx in Last wednesday and they are clean ready to degrease tomorrow. My set up is now 95 degrees and seems to speed up the process from previously heating to 80-85 which was taking a month or more.