1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help with duck ID

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wilcox1088, Apr 13, 2014.

1. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

I have a buddy with this mount that he has had for many years but is not sure of the species and was wondering if someone could help out with the ID. He said it came in with a group of teal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Blue-winged x green winged teal, I suspect, but it's hard to say for sure since it might be faded.

Does anybody have any reference on a BW teal x gadwall, because that would be my other suspicion.

3. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That is something else I ment to mention. It is about the size of a gadwall drake. It's a pretty big bird

4. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Looks like a widgeon/gadwall to me...

5. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

His bill is pretty wide at the end almost like a spoony but not that drastic

6. Nancy C

Gadwig was my first thought as well, but the wing coverts and the blue accent feather in the scaps suggest that there was a BW teal somewhere in the woodpile.
    A shovelor would have given it a bigger bill, I think, and a cinnamon would have added more reddish tones.

Now more than ever I'm thinking BW teal x gadwall. If so, it's a pretty rare cross.

7. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Yea I used to guide with this guy and he has killed more birds than anyone I have met. He hunts every day out of the season excluding two, Xmas and turkeyday. But he cant decide what it is. He first thought is was a falcated teal mixed with something maybe

8. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

I am with nancy on that BWT X gadwall. Pretty cool bird lucky guy/gal.

9. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

The white on his face is what gets me. A blue wing has a little but I don't think it would be enough to make 3/4 of the face to be white like that

10. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

I personally as soon as I saw it thought storm wigeon but the green stripe is off placed. Could it be piebald? I doubt it though

11. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

No

12. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Now I'm leaning towards sponny X gadwall

13. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

Gadwall/Shoveler. Have killed one and seen several. The bill is more spatulate than you think.

14. Nancy C

The Waterfowler may very well be right. He has seen more hybrids than anybody that I know of.

Wilcox, the white cheeks come from the Gadwall parent. I don't know why, but a lot of their hybrids show very pale cheeks - either white or light buff. Brewer's ducks are a good example of the buff cheeked variation, while Pintail and Wigeon crosses are a lot whiter.
    Any hybrid duck with very pale or white cheeks has a pretty good chance of being a Gadwall cross, especially if it's from N. America

15. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That is very interesting. I appreciate the info. The bird was killed in southeast texas

17. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I can only assume that people are saying that they are not protected due to the fact it's a hybrid. (technically, you wont see a cross listed on the protected species list)

I personally would not be trying to hunt them outside of a normal season (and yes, I would add them to the possession limit) or sell them like a pen raised. I would be on the safe side and treat them like any other migratory bird and follow the same rules. I can see it now.....

GWarden " What are you doing out here?....season closed last week!"

Hunter " I'm only hunting hybrids"

GWarden " Come with me please".......

18. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Lol. I know that's exactly how it would go here in Texas. One question I have about this subject is, like here we are allowed 2 pintails in our 6 duck limit. How would you categorize the species if it was a cross, pintail x mallard for instance?

19. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

they count as your daily limit but down here there are mottled and we are allowed 1 but there is a hybrid that is very common ( mottled X mallard) and they only count as a one of 6 for your daily limit. Have to shoot them during season. Can't sell like any other waterfowl . Yes you need paperwork because that hybrid could exist in the wild

20. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

def has spoonie....and spec looks to be gad