1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Weekly Work Schedules

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wingedwolf, Apr 14, 2014.

1. So I work from home, and it is pretty hard to keep a good schedule going. I'm really interested to see how other guy's schedules are like. I really want to work so I can streamline my work as much as possible and maximize my productivity. I guess I'm looking for a sample schedule for taxidermy, like... skinning one day, working on something else the other.

What are your work hours like? How many hours in an average work day?
    And how do you remember what you need to do and when? Print outs? A Computer system?

I'm part time so I understand its gonna be different but yeah, just wanted to put this out there!

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

For me....weekdays....regular job - 7am to 4pm. Home at 5, change clothes, work till 8pm weeknights. I prep everything (I'm a bird guy) during the week.....skin, flesh, paint, etc.

Weekends - 4:30am - 6pm, finish mounting as much as I can each day.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Up at 4:00am. Work in shop until 5:45am.Work at day job from 6:00am until 4:00pm. Work in shop from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Spend 1/2hr with the wife watching Jeopardy. Work from 7:30pm to somewhere between 10:00pm and 1:00 am. That is a typical week day. Saturday is usually 8:00 am to 1:00am. Some times till 3:00am. Sunday 11:00am till 6:00pm. This is a typical week. Sometimes I take days off to hunt or spend time with family and friends. Some evenings I don't work out there because I'm not feeling it or I need to mow the lawn, etc. Thats to achieve an 8 month turn around. This year for various reasons I was " forced" to bite off (nearly) more than I could chew. And yet I still am on this site when I should be mounting animals. I've been turning down new customers and I never want to work these many hours again. Whew!

4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Tang, I hope you're a young dude. Those kind of hours will kill ya when you get older. I used to work construction all day and still go huntin or fishin or mount a deer but I can't do it anymore.

I have found that I do better work when I concentrate on one piece at atime, and, I enjoy it more. I have prepped a form while waiting for something to thaw. Then go over and work on fish fins, finish the seam on a bass. Then saw on a couple antlers and set them on the forms. Stop and clean up the shop a little. Everythings' in steps, so there's always something to do. Cape is still not thawed yet, so I'll set eyes and do clay work on a couple and bag them so clay don't dry, the whole time I've got a scull boiling out back and I have to check on it from time to time.

I have been known to kick back in my recliner and take a nap while waiting for that cape to thaw. Darn slowthawing capes! Wake up, and my water's done boiled out over the top of my cooker and put my far out. Dernnit man! Cape's still not thawed out, go set some fish eyes, do some scullpall work and spray some sealer on some fish. My plan is to get about 8 or 10 fish ready to paint and paint them all at once, I do like to do that. Finally the cape is thawed, wash, dry, prep the ears and slid cape over the form. Adjust it, get it ready to sew, bag it up, put it off till tomorrow, go take another nap. Go to bed too early, get up too early at 3 am and get on tax-net and write something stupid and go in and sew up my deer. Then I'll start on a second one if that cape thaws out in time. LOL!

5. saipranad

saipranad New Member

As with any selection of productivity tools, some are definitely better than others. It is always important to use the best tool for the job. The productivity apps should be selected based on individual needs.

I've used one app a few years ago that still works fine. I want to have all of my events put into my calendar so I can get notifications on when to do something and quickly see my activities. Recently, I found a great tool and started to use. It is Replicon's roster software ( http://www.replicon.com/olp/rostering-software.aspx )which helps to manage my schedules and client appointments.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

double barrel, I turn 50 in august. I usually have multiple projects going on at any given time. Last night I did the finish work on an elk head, the finish work on a bear rug head, pulled a cape from the pickle and got it Liqua tanned, got an antelope skull ready for the customer, and worked on a rabbit form and deer form. I tend to jump around a lot. If I'm going to let a cape drain for 20 min. I jump onto the next project. When I do something like finish work I usually have more than one I work on, same for form prep and mounting, etc. In the last years My turn around time,except for bears and elk was 3 months. I worked like this and would be done in may or june. this year I'll be lucky to be done by deer season and I don't want to leave my day job, so, I'm only going to do repeat customers and find another way to do what I have to do with out working so much.

7. zubba

zubba Active Member

Dang Tanglewood. Grueling

My schedule (outside of my 7-3:30 job) consists of: Shooting archery, hunting, a little taxidermy, yardwork, fishing, a little taxidermy, hanging with the family, catching a ball game, a little taxidermy, looking for sheds, woodworking, a little taxidermy, mushroom hunting, food plots, a little taxidermy, etc.

With that said, I only shoot for 10-15 heads a year. I did 35-40 heads a year on top of my day job in the past, then quickly realized I enjoyed a lot of other things (in addition to taxidermy) that I didn't get to do anymore. Kids also changed that.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via TapaTalk 4

8. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Day job 7-4, in my shop at 4:30 and work until 9:30-10:30. Sat and sun 7:30 to when ever, sometimes 5 or 6 sometimes later. I have been doing this for 15 yrs, and I have to say its getting a little old. still love taxidermy just getting sick of 7 days a week.

9. Thanks guys, these are some great responses! Glad to hear I'm not the only one working silly hours too!

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I am most productive early in the morning. I start at 6:00 AM and work tip 8:30, take a coffee break and hit it again til lunch. I mount deer one or two days weekly, and do three at a time. I keep my worklog on an Excel spreadsheet, and try to have 7-10 mounts per week completed. For some reason, I can't seem to get much accomplished after lunch. I bounce between personal tasks, spending time with my family, or having time wasted by customers in the afternoon.

11. I use to work just like the guys that wrote ahead of me in this post, but 16 years ago I had to decide if I wanted my kids growing up while I worked all night and weekends, I took the leap of faith and went full time , with the wife's blessing, know what we did it doubled my part time work the first year , because I was in the studio all day to take work and answer calls, I now work 8 to 5 week days some Saturdays till noon evenings by appointment, I have a real life and MONEY too,, Now I am ready to sell my studio and home as a turn key business ( see taxidermy employment ,, studio and home for sale,) good luck

MJ