1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning prices

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrew M, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Hi there, I'm 14 and had a question about different tans. I've been doing taxidermy for a little over a year and have been tanning most of my own hides. i started using the Dan Rihnhart cream tan. it was great for me for the first few months but i didn't know anything about tanning then. just about a month or so ago i started using the McKenzie tanning system (i flesh, salt, pickle, shave, pickle it again, neutralize, and then tan it) it's worked really well and has produced some great hides. i guess my questions are, does McKenzie charge a lot for their for their tans compared to other tans that work just as well. and what other tans out there could i get for good prices?????

thanks so much

Andrew

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

What type of tans are you looking for? Soak or a rub on tan?

3. Rub on would be great but I'm willing to try different tans.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Safety acid, Liqua tan and Liqua soft oil.

5. DZach

DZach New Member

Welcome to taxidermy Andrew. I use allot of Liqua Tan and Liqua Soft and can get about 6 deer hides tanned with a quart of tanning oil. I just tried Trubond and liked that tan also. I like the brush on tans, easy to use, with good results.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Three of the best rub on tans are:
    Liqua-tan

Tru-bond

Pro-1

Only in that order for that's when they came into use. I say the best because there really is no mixing so no mistakes can happen. If you really have to mix something up then it's not real staple like oil and vinegar. They go together but will separate.

7. I will defiantly give some of those a try!! thank you all for your responses.

8. HQ 5000 from Head Quarters supply is another good paint on tan. It's just like a wet tan hide from Carolina Fur Dressing.

9. Did we save the fourteen year old any money. All these tans mentioned work good. Liqua tan at 33.00 per gallon is considerably cheaper than the rest, and has been around a lot longer than any of them.