1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help on turky tail

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jvan, Apr 14, 2014.

1. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    had a friend drop off a fan they tried to do. the base is a hardend geasy mess.
    what is the best way to handle it soak and repostion after clean cleaning or stripp every feather off and clean individually and reposition.
    there use to be a tutorial about how to take each feather clean and repostion but after searching i came up empty.
    any input would be appreciated
    jason

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Get a pair of dykes (that's diagonal side cutting pliers in case you don't know the jargon) and cut each feather off as close to the tail butt as you can. Lay them down IN ORDER and tape them so they don't get mixed up. Then get a piece of cardboard and draw concentric circles on it out to about 12 inchs from the center. Lay the first tail feather down so the end meets that outside line and the base is pointed to the center of the circle. Hot glue it and continue to build your fan Then cover with the secondary/covert fan feathers the same way. When complete, go on the back side and remove all the excess cardboard.

Thank Paul Thompson (Low T) for this hint. I know it's in the archives someplace but in this instance, it was just easier to write it out.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

T's tut is on Vanhelden Game Calls web site. He moved it from here to there.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

there are at least 3 ways to realign tails on a turkey 1st look for markings on the broad dark band there may be a tinge of copper coloring appearing on 1 side or another follow these they will get larger or smaller in succesion. 2nd tail feathers get longer toward the middle 3rd the quill will be more towards the center of the feather as it goes to the center Just grasp the whole tail and cut between the quills then scrape off the turkey jerkey from each feather. This will leave you with more quill for the hot melt glue to adhere to.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Alan. That's good stuff there.

6. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    thanks everyone