1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished my training with Wingman!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jason Rader, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Just got back home from training in Montana with Eugene Streekstra and let me tell you.......the man is a machine! We had so much fun yet covered way more than I ever thought possible in 4 days. He definitely gave me my money's worth putting in all 12 hour days. Mounted two birds a day start to finish and explained every single step in detail. He showed multiple ways to do just about everything so I could try them out and decide for myself what works best for me. As a hobbyist, I really only knew a little bit from watching videos and reading posts on here so he pretty much had a blank canvas to start with. But he was more than willing to demonstrate each move he made, why he does it that way, and offered alternatives in case that didn't work or a problem arises. If I had to pick the one thing that stood out the most...it was learning the hip attachment for the legs. Being able to accurately reproduce the anatomy and correctly position the body made everything else that much easier. He gifted me a prime shoveler to mount and I couldn't be more pleased with the result. I had him "grade" me as I moved from step to step to make sure it was going right. Truth be told..he did have to assist me a few times along the way but in the end it only gave me more knowledge for in the future. Anyone interested in getting some good bird training I highly recommend getting in touch with him. He let me film everything I wanted and even narrated as he worked so I'd have good reference videos when I left. He's a top notch instructor and all-around great guy. His family was very welcoming and the shop was immaculate and extremely organized. Although he doesn't frequent taxinet much anymore he's very active on facebook as "Wildfowl Unlimited". I suggest tracking him down, scheduling some training, and watch your skill-set skyrocket. You won't be disappointed. So with all that being said...here's the mount I completed while at his shop. Still in the drying stage but MILES ABOVE anything I've ever done before. This is my fifth bird and I'm very proud of how it turned out. Hope y'all like it and I look forward to (hopefully!) showing some more of my work as I continue to practice and utilize the things he's taught me. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

2. Crown and Coke and the piece is great. Good write up.

3. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Do yourself a favor and mount about ten more birds in the next couple of weeks while it is fresh in your mind. That will help lock it in your brain.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Great advise, Tony. That applies to ALL you folks going to "school". Over the years I couldn't count the number of people who've done only one good mount in their life: the one they did in class. Take Tony's advise and it will be harder to fall back in your old habits.

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

X3! Jason great job! Can't wait to see your posts in the coming weeks. Don't get discouraged if the first few aren't as great as your class birds, just keep cranking them out. I promise you will learn something from every bird you do. I'll be looking for you in BOTW and the workbench thread!

6. I'm kind of embarrased I posted the picture with the bottles in the back without realizing it. Oh well...that was our celebratory toast after a long week. Is what it is. Thanks for the advice Tony/George. That's exactly what I'm doing right now on the last day of my vacation. Just put a hen mallard into the wash. So far so good. Really took my time with the fleshing. After using his wheel, I don't think mine is broke in enough. Seemed to be really rough. Then scissored really thoroughly the places I didn't get sufficiently on the wheel. I'm pleased with how clean the skin is. Definitely better than I was doing it before. I'm gonna do a couple of birds that I have the supplies for then skin a few more to get some form sizes and place me an order (probably order some of Tony's heads!!!).

Brooke - thanks for checking on me. Seeing what you're capable of after working with Matt really inspires me to keep plugging along. I appreciate you keeping me in mind while I was up in Montana. Keep your fingers crossed for the rest of today as I hopefully get the hen together. I'm loving your dead mounts! You sure do pack a bunch of birds on those things. Look great. Time to head back to the shop and finish up some prepping. :)

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jason, if you think your wheel is too harsh, take a board and grind on the edge of it for a bit. This will loosen up the wires and clean gunk out of it. I do this every time I fire up the flesher, after it has set for a day or more.

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I've tried a new angle flesher instead of my HD VanDykes. I stacked two fine wire wheels and tried it. Sold that sucker. Never got used to it. I found a 3 inch coarse wheel and ran a 2x4 into it until the wires were bent back. Turkeys to parakeets. You'll get the touch. One piece of advice I'll give you and that is keep your mind keen on what your doing. You start daydreaming for just a second and you can cause yourself a lot of work.
    Advice 2, someone just gave this to me on here. On any thin skinned duck when you wash them put them in a colander. That way when you lift them up the weight of the bird won't rip it. I recently had a wigeon with a 1/4 inch of fat on it and I swear there was no skin. It ended up getting torn from butt to beak when it came out of the tumbler .
    Advice 3, on those thin skinned suckers wrap them in a towel to dry another piece of advice I recently got.
    My final piece of advice is always keep an open mind on others ideas. In the last six months I have tried more things than I have in the last 10. I've started skinning all my birds leg to leg. I inject them let them dry and paint them before I mount the bird .
    It's also a whole lot easier to flesh.

9. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Those bottles look like maple syrup... ;) sweet...

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Yep, that brand is bottled in Door County here in Wisconsin.

Crown Royal Maple Syrup

;)

Eugene must have made pancakes for you!

PS
    Your spoonie looks great.

11. hambone

hambone Member

All those in favor of a WingMan video say AYE.

12. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

AYE!

13. mallard1

mallard1 New Member

hows about YOU sharing some of your classes with Matt, words (or video), of really useful help we've not seen (from matt himself or wingman) or advanced to most?? From what you've said in your posts, you learned much and must have lots to SHARE.

14. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

there is always the option of YOU going to a class and paying for the information like others have done . . .

15. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

That's like cheating wingman out of money. That would be one reason I wouldn't want people to video

16. mallard1

mallard1 New Member

bucksnort and kinglet, makes no sense you'd chirp at me, when previous posts from hambone and brooksfd16, first asked for video from wingman's training - before me asking brooks for tips. no sense at all.

:eek:

17. hambone

hambone Member

Just to clarify my post I was suggesting Wingman make a video he would sell not one someone took at his training session, he has already given more than his share of free advice, take a look at Wingtips.

18. Kinglet

Kinglet New Member

Wasn't directed directly at you just quoted bucksnort but just saying that's like us working over time and not getting more money if we were to just give out film. Now if he were to make a video and sell it then we buy it that's fair

19. oskare

oskare Iceland

like the shoveler alot! like that crown even more ;)