1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hair slipping off hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mmtx81countrygal, Apr 15, 2014.

1. on my 4th shoulder, we had an issue.......just about ALL the hair started slipping off the hide & the hide was almost jelly like. boss stopped & asked me what i thought, i told him it was improper hide care before we got it. he never saw one do that but when they guy brought it in caped, he figured that was what happened.

luckily we had another cape to put on. im stressing to anyone who might bring in mounts caped out to PLEASE properly take care of the cape or bring it to me A.S.A.P.

never though i'd run into something like that so soon.

2. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

What, a completely ignorant customer? Haha....

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was the customer who created the jelly like cape issue? I'd like to know so I can tell my customers that create jelly capes how ignorant they are. Sounds like the boss is pretty sharp.

4. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

Sounds like more of a tanning issue than a customer issue

5. B Jones

lrc1492 I have to agree. I have had this happen before with a cape when I washed it with a soap, I dont remember what soap it was now. It tuned the cape some what translucent and rubbery. Mis-handling by a customer just gives us a stinky nasty slipping cape that we have to save or trash.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Didn't see anything about tanning..

Clairvoyant?

7. B Jones

LOL, its always the customer Cyclone.

8. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

Yeah must be.

9. when the customer was called to ask about it, he said he had the cape out in a cooler for a few days before bringing it to us, wasnt sure how long, & other excuses. we just wanted to let him know the original cape was ruining so he could make a decisions on another cape or horn mount. he in the past would bring in rotten heads for euro mounts & such.

never had any issues with the tanner on any other capes so far either.

im not blaming anyone just asking thoughts since i never had a cape slip that bad before ever, never seen it before unless it was on a bad, decomposing body.

the translucent & rubber is what it was like. it had NO stretch & as i tried to stitch, it ripped out bad...no matter how thick the hide was in that area.

10. nitt

nitt Member

Maybe rehydrated too long? That will make um rubbery n soft and not stretch.

11. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,364970.msg2455541.html#msg2455541