1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

earliners

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by trav2322, Apr 16, 2014.

1. trav2322

trav2322 New Member

I've always done bondo ears on my whitetail mounts n was thinking about trying earliners. I've been looking at a bunch of different ones n was having trouble deciding which ones to use. So I figured I would see what ones u guys n girls r using. Also was wanting to c if anyone has used cartilageliner earliners? They claim they can be used without removing the cartilage from the ear. Was also curious if hide paste could be used on earliners or if u have to buy special glue. Thanks for the help.

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I prefer ohio taxidermy supply b100 and b200 ear liners
    I use roman 555 for adhesive.

Rough up the ear liners and clean with laquer thinner
    Make sure the ears fit, you want some clearance inside, if they are to tight they will drum

3. Ots here as well

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

I also use ots or the eppely's from McKenzie. I use magic smooth its a two part adhesive its really a preference deal use what works best for you.

5. zubba

zubba Active Member

OTS here too. I drill a bunch of small holes in them, rub with lacquer thinner, and use a 5 minute 2 part epoxy. Maybe an overkill, but I never have any drumming & never have to babysit them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via TapaTalk 4

6. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Kurt
    just so you know, I have zero issues with ear drumming using bryans supreme glue, buckeye supreme or roman 555. As long as they aren't tight no issues at all.

7. zubba

zubba Active Member

I might try it Dave. I use 555 for hide paste now, maybe I'll try a set of ears. Although I do like how after 5 minutes, I never have to worry about the ears again.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via TapaTalk 4

8. trav2322

trav2322 New Member

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna give ots a try

9. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

OTS liners and bases and Pro-1 hide paste. Just started using it and will never stop. Sand them down, wipe them down, glue'm up , groom them and your done. 8)

10. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

x2

11. x3

12. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Make sure they fit and pro1, they will not drum. I like the OTS liners

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

OTS or Eppley/McKenzie. Went back to Pro 1 hide paste, best I have used.

14. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Use OTS earliners also but as for glue I don't see it..... McKenzie, Roman 555, 5 min. epoxy, Pro 1 they all work fine if the up front work is done correctly. I personally like McKenzie and Roman 555 not just for cost but I'm not a big fan of thick glue.

15. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

What's thick glue? If you are referring to Pro-1 it's not thick if you stir it up like it says to. Mckenzie and 555 are to thin in my opinion but Mckenzie is a good glue and works well on forms and liners if the liners are prepped properly.

16. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

I agree with Rich if the pre work(aka) measuring for the right liner,sanding/roughing,thinner wipe down on liner,thinner wipe down on inside ear skin to remove tanning oils. Ect.... Any glue will work good. I personally use OTS and pro-1 with above process and get great results

17. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I would stay away from the thinner use millardtaxi. It can cause a bond loss, after all we don't use thinner on the cape. I use a little dawn to clean ears, they are usually filled with oily saw dust.

18. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

If I don't cleanbearlinwrs with laquer thinner I will have drumming issues. I've done it both ways.