1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wish me luck, I'll need it!! (Quick update)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Apr 17, 2014.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well today is the day that we are starting, from the ground up, the new building that will house MAD Taxidermy. I've had a new shop plan in my head for over 6 years now that has never changed & that was a big reason I put so much work into the old building, I just wasn't content, I always knew what I wanted.

This is a huge step for me. I got the exact piece of property I wanted by happenstance & when I contacted a real estate agents about selling my building I'm currently in I didn't have faith in what they were telling me it was worth. I denied all their offers, even though they all tried to convince me I was crazy for wanting to sell it for more.... I took the chance, marketed it my way.... which was just telling business people I have a nice office space for sale & I wound up selling it for $35,000 more than what the highest estimated sales price was from any agent.

I'm excited, nervous, happy & scared to death.... today ground was broken & the dirt work began on my new shop. 3,312 square feet of concrete for the shop which includes drive in bays, skinning rooms and cargo trailer storage.

Seriously, wish me luck, the streak we've been having is just too fortunate, something's gotta break down soon LOL

I'll keep you updated if I don't have a nervous breakdown these next few months!!

[​IMG]

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Re: Wish me luck, I'll need it!!

Good luck Michael! Keep us posted.

3. Instructor

Instructor Member

You don't need luck my friend, you are a very hard working individual,the power of positive thinking,persistence,and Faith with the grace of God will be on your side.Congratulations!!!

4. Re: Wish me luck, I'll need it!!

Good luck Mike...Hope all goes well.

5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Mike
    The best of luck to you both and congratulations on the start of your dream shop.

6. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa

You are living the dream and deserve all the success in the world. I envy you in that you get to do what you love for a living!

7. Re: Wish me luck, I'll need it!!

Awesome project. Best wishes Mike

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

Good for you Michael, I'd be lost in a shop that darn big. It will all be fine, you just need faith. You already have drive.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The actual working area is 2016 minus 288 for office & bathroom space..... NO SHOWROOM! Everybody says I'm crazy, but the last showroom I built was the most beautiful waste of money I ever spent. I've been left with I deer head & 1 euro in the last 5 years. Most work is delivered, picked up immediately, shipped or held for a weekend pick up.... nothing I can't hang in the office briefly.... as far as showroom pieces, I've planned that one forever & never got around to mounting them.... what the hell makes me think I could now?! LOL

I hope to bring on 2 more employees over the next 18 months & see if I can ride that wave. No fleshing, salting or tanning in the shop sure changes a perspective. Skinning, prepping, mounting, finishing.... that's it, no turning, salting, shipping...... it's expensive, but in hindsight it's cheap to the alternative.

I think this is the best move I've made, honestly, I was getting too burned out, the money was good but my mind gets bored easily..... this should hold me over for the next 8 years..... then we'll rebuild again so I don't get content.... sucks being your own worst enemy mentally sometimes!!! :)

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just kind of freaking out right now. It's a big lot, but the plans worked out with 110' of frontage, 12' walls & 16' at the peak..... I'm in 8' tall 576 sq ft of working area right now.... WTH am I doing? I'll fake it till I make it!

10. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Good luck man, it takes balls to do that for sure!!

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Good luck, Michael. If anyone deserves it, you do.

12. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Its a big move, but I know you can do it.

13. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Congrats and best wishes

14. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.

Good Luck Mike !

15. Re: Wish me luck, I'll need it!!

Good Luck Mikey, you"ll do great!

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

It will all work out Michael, one day at a time.

17. gab

gab Active Member

be sure to have a grand opening/ribbon cutting so we can all come.

18. Paul I

Paul I New Member

You don't need luck.You have shown many people how to make money and have a good time.LOL

19. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

Good for you. You have earned it!
    You make it happen.

20. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

STOP consult a therapist you have totally lost your mind perhaps my brother was exposed to carbon monoxide as I was, or he's been drinking again.............

Just funning. You'll be fine. Can't wait to see it come together. Most showrooms are a tribute to oneself. Hey....ain't I great! You showoff with your production. Smart move.