1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Bands??

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wilcox1088, Apr 21, 2014.

1. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Just curious if anyone has ever posted on here about bird bands by that I mean with pictures and the stories behind them and how many you have and the most unique. This is something that has always interested me just to know how far these birds travel and how old they get. It might have been done before

2. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

This is my first contribution. It was shot in southeast Texas in I believe 2010. He was banded in Northern Canada in '06. The people I was guiding for had a pristine hay field that the geese were murdering so we set up on them and came out with this guy and a few of his friends. By the way this was my first and only collar. I was pretty pumped to say the least.

[​IMG]

3. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Neat.

Pretty easy to decide which bird to shoot from a flock when you see that.

:)

4. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Yea it really puts the pressure on trying not to miss

5. nitt

nitt Member

About two years ago I shot a Canadian goose in central wi that was banded in southern Illinois 12 years previous n was banded as an adult. The band was wore thin as a piece of paper n you could barely read it. That is the most interesting one I have. Wonder how many spreads he saw in his days????

6. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Maybe just yours.

:)

7. MBA Taxidermy

MBA Taxidermy Member

Funny this thread was posted. I just mounted my banded blue goose last weekend. This is probably my most special band, because of the hunt. I was hunting by myself afterschool. I sat in the ditch because I saw canadas and snows flying over. I was mainly focusing on canadas, but a flock of snows flew over and I decided I would take a shot. I thought they were fairly high, so I just picked out the best interphase I could see and only shot once. I ended up dropping it in a cattail slough. I looked for 30 minutes and could not find it. I gave up and drove home, which was only 3 miles away, and luckily my cousin had his lab, so I took her to see if she would find it. By this time it was pitch black outside and I walked her to the slough and she ran in and ran around for 5 minutes before bringing it back. I could not see the band, but when I felt it I was ecstatic. It was a 7+ year old male from ontario.

[​IMG]

8. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

I've gotten 2 banded birds in my years of hunting. both of them were some of the most memorable and awesome hunts of my life. in 2010 I shot a double banded (one band, one $100 reward band) mallard. I got it hunting with my son on a private lake in central CA. when I turned it over I jumped for joy and nearly fell outta the canoe we were in to retrieve it! my son's reaction played off of mine. he's saw how excited I was and got equally excited. it was so great because that was the only bird we got that day. I/it taught him that patience pays off. when I got home that night we were telling the story to family that happened to be there that night. we were so excited. to top it off, that was the night the giants won the world series. it was one of the most memorable nights of my life.
    The other band I got was from this season. I took my nephew to work on picking up decoys from our dry fields... the drought here meant their was no water at one of my clubs main properties. it was depressing. we had gone out that morning to another "hot spot" and got nothing. well we decided to drive out to the club and put in some work time. as we got out there we saw that there was a huge grind of geese in my fields! we parked the truck, grabbed the guns and slowly walked along the checks. each time we started to get close, the grind would get up and go one field farther away from us. we crawled on our hands and knees across the last field. as we approached the check it was clear that we were gonna get a shot, but I told him that I didn't want to "flock shoot" when they were still on the ground and that we should get closer and when they spook and take off to pick birds and start shootin. well, we got within 30 yards and they all took off flying directly in the path of us! we both rose up and unloaded our guns (3 shots each). he got two, and I got none! I was shocked and pissed! how could I have missed I thought. I got so excited at shooting into the sea of white 25 yards above our heads, I didn't even take the time or have the thought to aim, I just indiscriminately shot into the air. I played down my frustration and congratulated him. just as I did the grind had done a 360 and was now gonna make a second pass over us (dumb birds!). we reloaded as fast as we could. we both shot again. he only had the time to load one shell and I loaded all three. this time, I made sure to pick a bird. boom- dropped one. boom-dropped another. boom one had a bullet proof vest on, and flew away with the grind. as I went to get my birds after what had just happened, I saw that I had goten my first ross' goose, I turned it over and saw the band! I/we yelled with excitement. to cross the fields so slowly took us over an hour and our hands and knees hurt from crawling across the hard clumps of the dry disced rice field. again I had unknowingly taught another youngster the reward of never giving up, good lessons for life for young guys! that days hunt will always be up there with one of the best too!
    the mallard was banded in Oregon 6 years earlier as an adult, so it was at least 7 years old. The ross' goose was banded in Nunavut Canada three years prior. well, those are my stories. the best part of it all was getting out there with my son and my nephew, that's what counts the most. (but, yes, every time I shoot a bird the first thing I do is look how pretty it is and admire Gods creation... then I check for a band!

9. Sprigpig1

Sprigpig1 Member

Cool blue and story Alex O. Yes I have always been interested in the storys behind bands and of course the science behind them as well. 2 out of the last 20 geese I have shot have had bands. A honker that was only banded a few miles from where it was shot and a ross that was shot in CA that was banded in Nunavut, Canada not to far from the artic circle. Quite a journey.

10. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

subscribe to Wildfowl. This magazine has band reports each issue and usually one story also

11. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That's where my snow was banded, in Nunavut

12. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

When I was in high school, just a few years after they opened the extended snow goose season here me and two buddies set up on a levee one morning it was real foggy. We ended up with 49 snow geese with four bands, two were banded 3 years befor about eight miles where they were killed. It just shows that most of these birds return to the same places every year

13. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

I volunteered to help the staff of Bosque del Apache NWR band Snow Geese on January 23,1980. We must have captured over 200 Snows that cold day. Five years later on October 29,1985 I bagged one of the geese we had banded. It turned out to be a beautiful Eagle Head Blue Phase,which now hangs on my wall. How about that for a banding story. Also bagged a Snow Goose this March during the Consservation hunt that was banded five years earlier in Nunavut,NWT. I have been in contact with the Biologist that banded the bird.

14. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

That is pretty interesting

15. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

I shot a Mallard drake on Vancouver Lake in Vancouver Washington. It had been banded 3 year's earlier in Scandia Alberta. I also killed a Honker along the Columbia River near Vancouver, that was banded in Vancouver. I have only killed 1 more banded bird, a Mallard hen. I called the # in and the lady said she couldn't look it up right away and tell me over the phone. I never did get the notice in the mail.

16. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can do it all online and it gives the info right then

17. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

I would send or call the Bird Banding Lab and tell them what happened. They for sure should send you a Certificate by e-mail,
    I got mine back the next day. You have to print up your own now. Do you know if the Honker you bagged on the Columbia was a Vancouver Canada Goose? I have been looking for one for our Museum.

18. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I've got three bands so far. All are from mallards. The first one was banded 30 miles north of me so nothing real special. The other two however are pretty odd. I was jump shooting a small creek on my property. Four birds got up and I shot the two drakes. Both of them were banded. When I got the certificates in the mail the first I opened said it was banded in the same place 30 miles north. I was kind of bummed and I opened the other one to find that it was banded a few hundred miles south near Boise ID. We don't see many banded birds in western MT and to shoot two out of the same flock that were banded so far apart was really cool.

19. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

Tom! The Bird Banding Lab no longer sends Band Certificates by mail-they will send you an e-mail with attachment so you can print your certificate at your home. Saves them postage and paper. You need to call them and tell them the problem.

20. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Few stories for me. First is laying my call lanyard down while sneaking geese on a float trip. My calls where jiggling together so I set it on the bank. Of course I forgot it there and didn't realize until a mile down river. Had my first four bands on it. Next day the place I laid it was under water :(

Then there was my dream hunt. The kind of day you never forget. Local honey hole and conditions culminated in the perfect storm of mallards. We could have killed a hundred! Ended the morning with a $100 band! What a day!

Last was a hunt with a friend who doesn't get out much. It was my turn to take the first poke, but when this green head banked around my side and set his wings to land in front if the blind, I had to let Mike have it. Man was I conflicted when I saw bands dangling from both legs hanging from the dogs mouth. $50 band! The confliction quickly disappeared when I explained to Mike what he had. Made his month!