1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

More Big perch pics

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of the latest and last round of perch harvested by hook and line. Total of 18 fourteen inches or over were harvested up to 2 lbs. 5 1/2 oz. I've shipped some today and will be listing more soon.

Four of my anglers fishing hard not charging me a dime for labor! Imagine that!

[​IMG]

One of them that caught the biggest two for the day.

[​IMG]

Another big one by one of the anglers.

[​IMG]

Two laying on top of the knockout cooler.*

[​IMG]

* Cooler of water heavily dosed with fish anesthetic to put them to sleep that prevents them from thrashing around.

2. Why the bug eyes? its that from the drugs?

3. AJ Wright

AJ Wright Member

Nice Perch

4. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Cecil, Those are some very nice specimens. Who cares about the "BUG EYES"!!!!!!

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I told them John C might be interested in them and they suddenly went bug eyed! ;D

I believe it's the stress of carrying up to 30 percent of their body weight in eggs. It's really hard on them and I lose some of them that can't pass the eggs.

6. CraigW

CraigW New Member

Cecil what do you use for fish anesthetic ? Is it readily available?
    Thanks

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use Tricaine Methanesulfonate (MS-222) aka Finquel. However it's expensive. 100 gms. is about $100.00.

http://pentairaes.com/tricainer-s-topical-anesthetics.html

Clove oil is supposed to work well too and a lot cheaper but I like this stuff as it only takes a few gms. and they are out like light. I tried Clove oil once a long time ago and can't remember how well it worked.

8. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

What pigs to think back in the day you'd catch a few like that every summerin nw indiana n eat them .

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've got a 114 year old scientific text book that is a lake survey on Maxinkuckee Lake near Culver, Indiana by a couple of PH'ds and their staff. It says there were 14 inch bluegills at the time. Here's a section of the book that says so: (Next to last paragraph.) However the 12 to 14 inch bluegill should have weighed more than a pound.

[​IMG]