1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ref pics on a nook

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by FinFlight, Apr 23, 2014.

1. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

I recently bought a nook hd.I started useing it for reference pictures.you. can make a pic larger and it stays clear..its greatyou can pinpoint any part of the fish blow it up such as scalle tips markings.if you have one try it if you havent. Tryed it if your thinking about getting.one it will become a important tool you save money on buying ref photos or photo paper n ink I love it.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Their prices have come down quite a bit, but at $100+ bucks still I wouldn't use it anywhere near my paint booth. If you're using it for other things that'd work cost-wise. But, I wouldn't spend that kind of money exclusively for holding reference photos and zooming in on them. Electronics near that paint spray will have a much shorter life span. Again, not a big deal if you're using it for other things as well. But, I'm on the same page as you though as I use an electronic photo frame to perform the same function. I think I have a 10" screen with remote and it cost me under $30 bucks delivered from Staples.

3. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

That's very cool idea also .but I use mine for reading and much more.you just see so much more than just a reg pic I put it in a big zip lock bag if I need the pic open as I spray.

4. I use a tablet as well.
    10.5" screen with high resolution.
    I can load all my ref photos on it and have my my music pumped through it.
    I have it on a holder I built hanging from the ceiling.
    Works great, ill never print another pic. Hoping to actually use a flat screen tv at some point in the near future.

5. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

Josh you can't beat all my tunes are on mine as well..

6. I sort of do the same thing. I have a cable running from a laptop in a separate area on which I have all my reference pics, internet, music, etc. The cable runs to a flat screen on a shelf above my painting area. If I'm doing automotive top coats, I do cover it with plastic, but it seems no worse for wear after almost a year and a hundred plus fish. I can just zip photos from the computer over to it and zoom in and out. Plus, I can have music, radiolab, whatever playing at the same time. If I need a new photo, I just Google it.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Outdoorzman - if you have good ventilation (ie: an exhaust fan) I'm sure it won't matter much. But for those of you with shops like mine where I REALLY should have better ventilation, I would bet a poor environment like mine COULD reduce the lifespan of electronics quite a bit. I know my furnace had many issues throughout the years due to the haze of paint in my shop. That's been resolved via replacing with one with a sealed system and outdoor intake. With paint spray of course a lot depends on how much spraying one does. I get this sort've thin crust of white over the top of everything in my shop after spraying heavily. Sealers and glosses are the worst. Although, my radio has been working fine in my shop for years though so who knows? But, I'd bet any electronic device with an internal fan would be much more susceptible to dust and paint spray. And paint spray is much worse because it's difficult to wipe off. Let's face it, you're taking a chance of shortening any electronics lifespan when you expose them to less than ideal conditions. How much shorter depends on your conditions and luck. I personally am just too cheap to put anything electronic that costs $100+ anywhere near my spray booth. Especially when I can get the job done with something a 1/4 the price. Let alone a $700 chance on a laptop? You're a DAREDEVIL Outdoorzman - lol!

8. Ah Marty, I wouldn't go so far as daredevil... well, perhaps my wife would. The laptop I use serves mainly as my reference library/jukebox and cost $250 used about 4 years ago... it is a good distance from where I am painting and sealing, though during heavy glossing I slap it shut and cover it with a towel. The flat screen is probably from the same era 2006ish and outdated. It is clear enough for my current needs (resolution-wise) and the colors are good, in my opinion (though my business partner may disagree... ::)). I do have 3 vents, one of which draws enough air to close the door! So, that white dust buildup is mitigated (I sometimes forget to turn on the "beast" and do notice a little white fuzz on surfaces though.) A daredevil... I like to think so, but probably not by definition.