1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey heads

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jimss, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jimss

jimss Active Member

What's your favorite turkey head (non-freeze dried)?

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Life-like?
    All may be similar to a turkey head, but not even close to a freeze dried, PERIOD.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

not without MAJOR work involved like gluing hundreds of little hairs and or feathers on it after it's painted.Drilling out the ear holes ,enlarging or deepening the nostrils. And even then the beaks just don't look thin and translucent enough along the edge. I'm sorry I didn't answer your question but in the catalogs if you go by the pictures I'd say Cary Cochrans or Anthony Eddys.

4. jimss

jimss Active Member

Freeze-dried sounds nice. I'm fortunate to be doing the mount for myself so am willing to do what it takes to alter, add hairs, feathers, detail paint, etc to make a respectable head look incredible! Does anyone have any experience with FNB209 and FNB207 heads sold by Mckenzie that were made by Ken Reedy/Frank Newmeyer. They look like they have a lot of great detail. Mckenzie only ships them from N Carolina and I'm on the opposite side of the planet from them so likely would spend as much on shipping as the head! Does anyone know where to get these heads elsewhere and have any experience with them? Thanks again for any advice

5. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Here is my opinion. First off I know you said you want to use a non freeze dried head. The ones you mentioned above will work, but It won't matter how much time you put into either of them, a fake head is a fake head, and it won't compair to the real head. Plain and simple. There is no making a respectable head look incredible. Are you in the United States? If so do yourself a huge favor and go freeze dried.

6. jimss

jimss Active Member

Sounds like I'm making a mistake if I don't go freeze dried! I'm always open to new ideas and willing to give it a shot!

7. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

how many times do you have to hear the same answer freeze dried only for realism otherwise go the cheapest

8. jimss

jimss Active Member

Now that I have it pinned down to freeze dried....who would you recommend!

9. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Boondocks taxidermy sells good freeze dried heads.

http://www.turkeyheads.net/turkeyheads.shtml

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

x2

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Boondocks.

12. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

X3 and FANTASTIC service

13. jimss

jimss Active Member

Do those that have used Boondocks try to call or email them before sending them a frozen head (make sure someone is around when it arrives) or just send them?

14. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Never hurts to call ahead. Brett is the best for service or information. Since your open to ideas . . . Check out his bodies also. Great package all the way around.

15. I work for Brett you can call and we can give you any info and help you need

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I call them first. Get the form off the web site. Remove the head from the neck. Put it in a quart size ziplock freezer bag. Put that in a gallon freezer bag and fill with water and freeze for at least a week. I make a box out of 2" foam insulation. I put that into a card board box. I take the frozen head (incapsulated in the baggie of frozen water) out, then into a plastic "Tupperware" container put it into the insulated box, and send it out next day. I call them to tell them that it is on the way. It takes several months to get it back, so you will need to patient. I paint my own, however you can have them paint for you. Go to their web site, if you haven't done so yet, and check them out.

17. jimss

jimss Active Member

Was boondocks the one that recommended the 2 ziplock bags and ice method? That plus tupperware makes a lot of sense. I froze the head the day I got it so imagine I can still put it in a bag with water and freeze it again. Should the head be ok in the freezer for quite a while? The reason I ask is because I may get a couple more toms to have their heads done in the next month or so. Thanks for the tips!

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Several months should be no problem.

19. jimss

jimss Active Member

Has anyone used Boonedocks forms for mounting. They look pretty nice. It looks like they have necks and drum legs available that would save time mounting (but obviously cost more money!).

20. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

I'm still waiting on someone to post a picture of an artificial head that looks real. I've competed in lots of places, and have yet to see one.