1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hi... Deer Head Mount hide drying time...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by keriWCL, Apr 23, 2014.

1. keriWCL

keriWCL Member

I have 11 mounts in the shop just about ready to finish and call customers. I have ONE customer that brought in two deer. One a shoulder and One a european. The Shoulder mount first attempt the hide was fine when I mounted and combed through. Then through the drying process hair was coming out and even after 4 weeks it never tightened. Have NO idea what happened. SOOO I took the hide I had from the euro (I was going to buy it) and mounted it AGAIN. It SEEMS to be doing the same thing. I'm NOT brushing through it like I did the other one. It just seems my deer dry and can be brushed after a week. I will see if this one tightens up after a couple of weeks. But this one order is mystifying me. Perhaps God is trying to teach me patience with this order... LOL...

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

How was it tanned?

3. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Put a fan on it bag the head to slow the drying time. Tanning might be an issue I comercial tan mine.

4. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

If all of the other mounts were tanned and taken care of in the same manner at your shop and you have not had any issues with them, I would venture to say that particular customer did not properly take care of his deer before they came to you.

5. Jason L

Jason L New Member

X2 with Topher. People are quick to jump and blame the tan at times when who knows how long the animal sat in the sun or was drove around in the back of a pickup truck in 75 degree weather. I know of a case when a guy drove a buck around on the hood of his jeep for a few days and the heat from the motor made the hide stick to the hood.and guess what, he was wanting to get it mounted! DUH !!!!!

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Was it slipping in the neck area because that area takes the longest to dry and it may have still locked after it dried?
    How long has it been drying?
    Topher has a good point as well....
    DP mounts will go through a stage where the hairs will loosen up and then tighten back after it is dry and what you described sounds like a DP mount before it completely dried....
    A good Krowtan job will eliminate all that..... ;)

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I brush the hair daily on my mounts, as they dry, starting the day I mount them, it is part of my babysitting and grooming process. Never had an issue. Why would you wait a week to groom them? Sounds like a flaw in your process. A bad cape will slip during the tanning process, before this point.

8. Put a fan on it. Its there a yeasty smell? If so there is problems, what hide paste are you using. If it home made and you put a bunch of Lysol in it, thats the problem. What is the humidity level in your shop? Hi humidity and slow drying time.

If you tanned the capes and they were fine when you mounted them, then it is not the capes, it is something you changed, in the process.
    Step by step think about what you did different in tanning.
    What did you change in mounting.
    Did you change anything in the line of chemicals?
    Did you change hide paste?

It really is something you have done thats different.