1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skunk tanned and deoderized but cannot get shunk smell out

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by michelle127, Apr 24, 2014.

1. michelle127

michelle127 Michelle and Ron Ream-Life Mbr - NRA,NAHC,DAV, VFW

I am mounting two skunks. The first one I skinned and squirted down liberally with the skunk deodorizer from McKenzie or Research, don't remember who I got it from, that stuff did not work. I then tanned it and then neutralized it with baking soda and washed it in Tide with Febreeze, still smelled like skunk. I just hung it up to drip for two hrs and sprayed the heck out of it with Febreeze. Still smells like skunk.

Anyone have any thing that works to get the skunk Oder out? Thanks.
    You can answer this, PM me or send an email, [email protected]

Thanks again.

2. That is because you still have oils in the hide. Did the skin turn your pickle a nasty cow piss color? YOu have to pickle it, flesh it again, wash, then pickle again. Now check for cross hatch pattern on the flesh side, if your skunk has that cross hatch you still have fat to get off and out of the skin. Use a bird flesher and work to get all that grease out and off the skin, wash it in the solution again once you are happy you have the fat gone, and repickle.

I did one shaved the flesh on the Eager Beaver, and the first pickle looked like cow piss, I washed it before three times and the pickle still looked like cow piss, drained washed allowed it drain abit and used a skife knife, washed again, allowed to drain and in the 2nd pickle another totally fresh batch!!! The next morning it looked like dirty Mt. Dew, drained washed and then drained and used the bird flesher still got a ton of yellow fat off the hide, washed and a 3rd pickle, this time the pickle remained clear.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Nature's Miracle...........

You can get it at pet groomer's or co-ops. It is not a shampoo. You spray it on or pour it on, wait 10 minutes and then rinse. The product's molecules attach themselves to the skunk molecules and then when rinsed, it takes them away. No washing or shampooing. Just apply, wait and then rinse.

Trust me on this one, it works better than any home remedy out there.

:)

Kerby...

4. dablaw

dablaw Member

In a 5 gallon bucket add 2-3 gallons of lukewarm water...then add a a half bottle of peroxide, half a box of baking soda, and 4-5 big squirts of regular dawn soap...agitate it for a sec then put anything skunky in it...less than one minute and smell free forever...I'll send you the bill..lol..

5. michelle127

michelle127 Michelle and Ron Ream-Life Mbr - NRA,NAHC,DAV, VFW

It was fleshed real good and the tan I used was brown in color anyway. Did not see any fat or anything left on before tanning. I will try the peroxide and baking soda, I had that recipe for removing skunk oder from dogs, so I will give that a try. If all else fails I will get town and get the stuff at a dog place. Thanks everyone.

6. Betta132

Betta132 New Member

Give it a couple months if nothing else works. It'll fade.