1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Macerating/degreasing with a barrel heater?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by DancingCoyote, Apr 25, 2014.

1. DancingCoyote

DancingCoyote Member

USA
    I've searched around for hours trying to find answers to this question, but can't find much. Sorry if this has been asked before.
    My submersible heater has fried up on me again in the middle of degreasing so I'm looking for new heaters to try. I've already got an aquarium heater on the way for outside maceration, but I'm wondering about the barrel heaters that you wrap around the outside of the tub for degreasing? I know you can edit some aquarium heaters to reach degreasing temps but I'd much rather have something that I don't have to mess with to lessen the chance of me messing it up..The Cheapest barrel heaters I can find are about $90 which is kind of a scary price for a heater, but they can easily get to degreasing temp, have an easy to read adjustable handle for temp, and stay on the outside of the heater so its easier to clean the tub when needed.
    My question is; has anyone used barrel heaters to macerate/degrease and would you recommend them? How long do they seem to last and how hard are they on electricity? They seem like a good deal if they last long enough, but of course I want to make sure before I spend so much on one to try.

2. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,356731.0.html

3. DancingCoyote

DancingCoyote Member

USA
    I've seen that post already, but it hasn't answered my questions on how long they generally last and how good they are on electricity. I know one person said theirs has lasted 15 years so far, but that's literally the only mention of how long they last I can find, and I'd like a bit more feedback on them than that to help me make sure they'll last long enough for the price to be worth it.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

I paid well over $100 for the barrel heater I bought and am not impressed so far...It never got above 108-109 degrees even with the dial set to 125. I realized mine was on the concrete floor of my garage so I thought maybe that was the problem...propped it up, and nope...if anything the temp continued to decrease. I ended up unplugging the heater as I was going out of town for the weekend and when I get back I will either try it again (doubtful, most likely I will send it back and hopefully not eat the cost of the darned thing), or use the aquarium heater that a lot of folks on here recommend...

5. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

It was me who posted about using one for 15 years, we use them for degreasing and macerating. Pm me for the particulars.